free website stats program Maintenance Training | Harley Davidson Forums

Maintenance Training

I'm getting tired of handing over my hard earned money to HD for maintenance. To pay 300-400 dollars every 5000 miles is getting a little steep. My 10,000 mile maintenace is coming up and they want $550 for that! I'm considering taking some training in order to do my own maintenance. Does anyone know of a course in HD maintenance that might be available? I have also seen the fix-my-hog videos advertised and wondered if they were any help.

Any input would be appreciated.

Ron

With the factory manual and the maintenance check list here
Maintenance Schedules For Servicing - Harley Davidson Community

and posting to ask questions, it's not a difficult thing to do. There's also videos here on the site in the different sections of the self help forum on how to do certain things on the bike too.

The fix my hog videos may help you too, I've never seen them so I can tell you how good they are.

If you have a question, just ask.:D

You may consider posting the type of bike you ride in your profile so questions would be easier to answer.

Gotta agree with Glider:

1) Absolutely must get a factory service manual for your model bike.
2) Search the "Quick Links Tips Forum" section here on HDTimeline.
3) Post any questions or concerns - someone out there has done EXACTLY what you are about to do!
4) Invest in the correct tool/tools for the job at hand.
5) Relax, take your time, and enjoy yourself.

I have the Fix My Hog Videos...along with this forum and the Videos I am no longer afraid to tackle any project..However keep very accurate records i.e. receipts for all parts and lubricants used. I was advised by the dealer it would be required for warranty claims.Also be very specific with mileage, and date. also dates matching the cash receipts. A bit of a pain but will be worth it. Good Luck. Oh yeah get a manual as well. The guy in the Fix my Hog vid's make you think of the "Sapranos" but make no mistake they make it very very clear...I honestly would recommend them to everyone on this forum...coz if your like me you can tell me something and I might scratch my head and say to myself huh?...but if you show me ..Then is so easy to understand....I'm a "need a pic" kind of guy!...lol

Yep.MMI costs about $20K and then you need to keep up with the changes and upgrades.Oh and then there's the $10K Digital Tech and the training to use it.Oh and I figure I'm at about $40K in tools.And trust me I'm underpaid by a long shot.
Sorry I just get a little annoyed when people think it's easy.Do the 5 K services yourself and definitely keep all the receipts in case there's a warranty issue.It would help you to use genuine Harley parts too.When it comes to the 10/20/50K it really is better to take it to the shop.Having a good tech that knows all the program updates and service issues see the bike will help your bike last a long time.

And use the factory service manual.Nothing else will do.The shortcuts I've seen are not a good idea.

Yep.MMI costs about $20K and then you need to keep up with the changes and upgrades.Oh and then there's the $10K Digital Tech and the training to use it.Oh and I figure I'm at about $40K in tools.And trust me I'm underpaid by a long shot.
Sorry I just get a little annoyed when people think it's easy.Do the 5 K services yourself and definitely keep all the receipts in case there's a warranty issue.It would help you to use genuine Harley parts too.When it comes to the 10/20/50K it really is better to take it to the shop.Having a good tech that knows all the program updates and service issues see the bike will help your bike last a long time.

And use the factory service manual.Nothing else will do.The shortcuts I've seen are not a good idea.

Not trying to be a smarta$$ or disrespectful in any way but, where do you draw the line? If paying someone else is a good idea at 10/20/50K then why isn't the initial 1000 mile service just as important? If anything left the factory amiss, it would pay to catch it at 1000 miles but still most guys on here preach to get the manual and do it yourself. Have not delved into my manual yet to see for myself but what's different about 10/20/50 that isn't just as important as 5/15/etc.?

If I want to continue on my chosen path of doing the maximum work myself, whose responsibility is it to keep up with major "service issues", as you call them? Does HD notify individual, registered owners or does the information only go out to their own service people?

Finally, can you tell I'm a FNG and really need to be educated on all this?

Steering head bearing adjustment,fork oil/bushings,swingarm bearings,wheel bearing end play,fuel filter and special tools to do some things.Look at the maintenance schedule in the manual.Sure the 1K is important but hopefully the set up discovered any problems that left the factory.As far as the "chosen path" you may wish to take small steps so you can learn the easy way instead of the hard way.I've seen owners do more damage then maintenance.If you think maintenance is expensive you should avoid paying for repairs.

P.S.If it's a safety issue all owners are notified my mail.If it's just a technical service bulletin dealers are the recipients.I have access to H-D Net for a knowledge base.What's coming next will put Harleys in the same league as automobiles.ODB II is coming.And there are simply some things you just cannot do.

I see both sides of the argument here and all I want to add is that by taking your bike back to the dealer, I have seen quite a few occasions where the trust was put in the tech and they knew little more than the customer, and that's IF the job got done at all. There's good and bad in every dealer but learning to do the work that you are capable of doing will save much aggravation and time as well as money. Don't enter into a job unless you are sure of what you are doing.

As far as the service bulletins, they keep the dealer and techs abreast of the different issues but again, I have had first hand experience with having to tell the service manager to check bulletin # XXXX pertaining to a specific problem. I don't think many of them review the service bulletins on a regular basis.

Steering head bearing adjustment,fork oil/bushings,swingarm bearings,wheel bearing end play,fuel filter and special tools to do some things.Look at the maintenance schedule in the manual.Sure the 1K is important but hopefully the set up discovered any problems that left the factory.As far as the "chosen path" you may wish to take small steps so you can learn the easy way instead of the hard way.I've seen owners do more damage then maintenance.If you think maintenance is expensive you should avoid paying for repairs.

P.S.If it's a safety issue all owners are notified my mail.If it's just a technical service bulletin dealers are the recipients.I have access to H-D Net for a knowledge base.What's coming next will put Harleys in the same league as automobiles.ODB II is coming.And there are simply some things you just cannot do.

Thanks - good points. So far I'm just doing my own fluids and I swapped out the passenger pegs for floor boards - that sort of thing. I plan on doing my own services following the manual until I reach a point where the investment in a tool or tools is not worth the money saved or, as you pointed out, if the risk of damage to the bike from tackling a major procedure is too great, I'll let my indy mechanic do it for me. The thing is, I've really enjoyed getting my knuckles bloody and actually touching the bike in places other than the handlebars!

I pretty much second what Glider said about the dealer techs. They may have the training and the tools but they won't have the motivation or love of my particular bike that I do. There also is such a markup in price just to have the dealer do stuff. I'm very fortunate to have found an independent guy who used to maintain a county police fleet and his prices and ethics are outstanding!

I have the greatest respect in the world for a good TECH..I was one for 37 years ..not a Harley tech but a Industrial service tech for Gas fired A/C systems as well as steam..heating plants etc. I worked for the power company..we were not handed service bulletins...but was givin a class ..it maybe a 1 week course or a 3 month course ..mainly because our industry is so freakin regulated. I've never told a consumer..a pat phrase that I've heard at too many dealers" Its ok " its suppose to act that way"...the factory says this are that!...I've paid for service I did NOT get.. The dealer charged Harley for a warranty job that wasn't done ... so on and I know theres some great dealerships out there and great TECHs..I just get a bit P.O.ed when I'm takin advantage of by a very few...Yes a law suit was filed by me on behalf of Harley Davidson...kind of strange sounding I know...anyway Fisher: I've seen your post I wish you were close because I know your a good tech by some of your responses. I also wish Glider was my neighbor...anyway my two cents I said I would tackle anything ...I don't think I want to rebuild a engine...when I made the statement I made I was meaning maintenance work only...I trust you took no offense to my post...

Back