free website stats program Mainshaft/Clutch pushrod | Harley Davidson Forums

Mainshaft/Clutch pushrod

Do any of you guys know why transmission fluid is leaking from my gearbox , through the mainshaft/ clutch pushrod, and into my primary case , and how do I fix it ?
I have already fitted a new transmission case vent pipe.

I'm not a tranny guy but I would think there is a seal. Do you have the shop Manuel for your scoot?

In looking at the parts diagram you have no seal on the clutch push rod. However there is a small seal on the main shaft between it and the main drive gear. P/N 12077. # 14 in photo. That part is usualy behind the inner primary.

tourbox

If the #14 seal in the above diagram is leaking, the leak will be obvious as it will drip out between the trans and inner primary and show up on the floor. The leak will present after a ride, drip for a while and then stop. There is no seal on the pushrod and that is the only path I can see for trans fluid to exit the trans and get into the primary chain case and that is a problem I have never encountered or heard of anyone else encountering.

If a '17 model, the "slinger" behind the clutch cover has been eliminated; not enough room. So, in the '17s, if the trans fluid level is near the level of the pushrod, trans fluid could be picked up and sort of pushed into the hollow main shaft. I know, a stretch but the only way I can see this happening in the '17s.:confused:

I never heard of before the '17 M8's. Some have been reported, usually after long highway drives.

I never heard of before the '17 M8's. Some have been reported, usually after long highway drives.

From what I read and hear from folks that are more familiar with the issue than I, rpms in the 3500 range will "pull" the trans fluid thru the hollow main shaft. I have no first hand experience; don't own a '17 model and probably never will.

Back