free website stats program Main shifter shaft seal | Harley Davidson Forums

Main shifter shaft seal

I seem to have a small leak on my 05 RK custom and the service guys at HD say it is the main shifter shaft seal. Is that an easy fix? I am assuming thay would have to go in through the primary side to get to that seal.

Seems like a lot of the 05 bikes had trouble with this seal leaking. I had an 05 Low Rider and it leaked twice. I have heard of people saying to replace the seal with a Cometic seal. The second time it leaked, I took a shoestring and wrapped it around the shaft holding the washer very tight against the seal. It only leaked a little after that, and I was able to make it through the rest of the prime riding season, until November, when I could get it replaced (warranty). The inner primary has to come off.

Thorns

I had to remove the inner to replace the seal on my Dyna Wide Glide, and I assume you will have to do the same. Lots of work for a $2.40 part!!

Not at all an easy fix. I put an Ultima 6 spd tranny on my '97 Ultra and this seal leaked. Had to pull the outer & inner primaries, clutch, starter, oil tank & tranny to replace seal & bearing. 10 hours of work and I had a certified mechanic helping......

Just wondering....

Is the case where the seal is thick enough to accomadate 2 seals together? We use to do this on problem equipment when we could.

I seem to have a small leak on my 05 RK custom and the service guys at HD say it is the main shifter shaft seal. Is that an easy fix? I am assuming thay would have to go in through the primary side to get to that seal.

Here is a pictorial explanation of what needs to be done. The post was actually about replacing the stator, but he also replaced the shifter shaft seal. Ignore the stuff about the stator and look down about half way or so and you will see the procedure used to change the seal by this poster. Fairly imaginative home made tools, too!!

Stator Replacement - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Thanx, gentlemen, for the feedback. TQuentin1, that link was what I was lookin for. I dont' have a garage, so gonna have to pay HD $300.00 to do it.
Great forum

Back