free website stats program Machining question on end mills | Harley Davidson Forums

Machining question on end mills

R_W_B

I can't afford a mini Milling machine or a CNC router setup, but I want to cut a straight edge on some 3/16" thick aluminum bar. I'm thinking I can do it with my router table but I've read an end mill bit works better than a carbide router bit.

I've found some end mills for sale but I'm curious about the nomeclature on the ad ?

What does it mean when it says 'cutting length' as opposed to cutting diameter ?

As in -> High-Speed Steel End Mill, Aluminum Cutting, High Helix, Uncoated (Bright), 2 Flutes, Square End, 1/2" Cutting Length, 3/16" Cutting Diameter.

½" is the length of the flutes. So that would cover your 3/16" thick material. 2 flutes are used more for plunge cutting, close to drilling. 4 flutes are better for side miling but it can still be done but it will pull hard on the material. High helix pulls the material out again like drilling. Uncoated is just that sometimes they will have say titanium coating which is only good until you have to sharpen then it becomes a non issue.

in the case of using it in a routing table how high it can come up thru the table and still cut

Ok thanks. I would have called it depth, but then it's prolly somethun that started a long time ago. Where else can you drive on the parkway and park in the driveway.

So the 'cutting length' is the depth of the fluted shank ?

say if it were a one inch cutting length and u were running a 7\8 inch stock thru it u would be ok just dont set ur fence in too deep cause u just want take off probably no more then a 1\64 at a time

When working with aluminum it is better to use a two flute endmill. At the speed most routers work at the chip removal will be easier with a two flute. The high helix will also be easier on your router. The type of alu. your going to machine is also something you will want to think about-6061T6 is harder and will be easier to machine than some of the softer grades.

Check rpm's and horsepower. Routers not set up for machining

When working with aluminum it is better to use a two flute endmill. At the speed most routers work at the chip removal will be easier with a two flute. The high helix will also be easier on your router. The type of alu. your going to machine is also something you will want to think about-6061T6 is harder and will be easier to machine than some of the softer grades.

Thanks guys, I have a varible speed router and I was looking at dbl fluted mills. I also was planning to not cut thru the entire piece on the first path. And I plan to use 6061-T6 since it is stronger.

Actually speedyron has me thinking of using a table saw and a carbide blade. I've even found some blades on the net specially designed for aluminum. This project is still in my head currently and not a real near future thing.

Back