free website stats program M&M EFI Throttle body cleaning | Harley Davidson Forums

M&M EFI Throttle body cleaning

sfd112

I have a 2001 RK with the dreaded M&M EFI. I bought this bike last month and it has less than 7k miles, so it sat alot. It's still cold here in Indiana and I've only put 20 miles on it and I have noticed a slight hesitation after shifting and accelerating. It doesn't fall flat on it's face but I can feel it. It had a stage 1 done at the dealer in '01 by the first owner (I'm #3), HD-Air cleaner upgrade and Screamin' Eagle slip-ons. It runs strong after the slight hesitation. When I cleaned and re-oiled the AC I noticed the throttle body is dirty, using a rag with carb cleaner I can wipe off the dirt up to the butterflies, what is the best way to clean the rest of it? Can I just run the bike and spray while running or ?? I know there are sensors in the TB so I don't want to damage anything. It idles fine when cold and after warmup.

I had a dealer do a 10k service and a general check out, I changed the oil/tranny/primary with Amsoil and added Amsoil PI to about 2 gal of NEW NON-Ethanol 91 octain fuel, new tires (had original tires), new rear brakes. When I can actually get on the road, hopefully I won't discover anything else. :51:

THX

Tony

Try running a couple oz of Seafoam to a full tank of gas and a oz or 2 every third tank full just to keep things clean. You can also remove the a/c and shoot a mist of seafoam directly into the throttle body making sure you keep the rpm's up. She may blow white smoke for a bit but it does clean things out.

I have seafoam, I'll try some of it if the Amsoil doesn't work in the gas now. Does seafoam come in a spray or did u add it to a spray bottle?

I would stop using carb cleaner on the throttle body and use something that is safe for EFI like seafoam. I don't know anything about the MM EFI but if you are worried that it is gummed up, take it out, take it apart and soak it in seafoam overnight, wipe it down and put it back on the bike and maybe spray a little in any of the little ports while it's running to clear any debris out.
If you don't want to take it out, you can spray the seafoam past the butterflies and soak it overnight in place looking for any small holes that may be clogged. If you fill it, I would suck the excess out before starting.
Check the plugs, wires and any after market tuner while its soaking and since you have the plugs off, you can soak the pistons too for good measure.
Plenty more to check on after that but that's how I would start.

I have seafoam, I'll try some of it if the Amsoil doesn't work in the gas now. Does seafoam come in a spray or did u add it to a spray bottle?

You can get it both ways but the spray is more of a cleaner and the pour bottle is more of a fuel and oil treatment. When I'm talking soaking, I mean using the spray.

Thanks Dan. I don't know for sure the TB is gummed up, it looks dirty probably from the oiled AC. I'm mainly looking for a reason for the slight hesitation. It could be just from a lack of riding and needs a good run with fuel system cleaner, OR it could be something worse. The plugs are new.

Tony

If you seafoam it like Jeff was saying and it does dump a bunch of white or worse blue smoke, the plugs should get changed or at least checked for fouling. IMO, seafoaming the throttle body will do leaps and bounds more for you than pouring it (or any other fuel treatment) in the tank. It certainly won't hurt to do both, either.

Thanks for the tip, I'll spray seafoam in the TB after my next highway run if that doesn't cure the hesitation. I don't want to do too many things at one time then I won't know which one fixed my hesitation problem.

Thanks for the tip, I'll spray seafoam in the TB after my next highway run if that doesn't cure the hesitation. I don't want to do too many things at one time then I won't know which one fixed my hesitation problem.

Good plan, process of elimination. Using seafoam every 3rd tank full as a preventive measure is a good thing. It helps keep gas fresh and cleans out the system. Misting through the throttle body gives it a direct shot and cleans the top end of the engine and it won't foul the plugs. Good luck.

Back