free website stats program Lugging the engine | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Lugging the engine

My thoughts are : I also agree with the above...

If your bike and the area you are in,,, allow the rpm to go lower ON COMPRESSION is not lugging. The motor will tell you if it is... The older day bikes , it was common practice to shift to a Higher gear when using compression as not to put strain on the WEAK shoe holding the primary chain... I never saw anything in Print but I have always liked going down a long grade at less than 2900 RPM... 1800 with a tack. but ONLY on occasion...

YES, IT can be dangerous to have your Power Band so low.... ONLY on occasion do I do this Today on my bikes... Not for the shoe that holds the primary chain,,,,JUST old habit.....

Coming off Chinook pass at 45/50 east bound, no traffic, and a nice day, ,,,I might go to 6 gear for a mile or two.... NO BAD feeling on the motor but I Don't expect it to do more than compression SMOOTHLY down the grade..(my choice)

I do Preach, Have your RPM band with-in ONE shift if needed..... It's a SAFETY Issue, Using the "throttle" to get OUT of a situation is just as important as being able to use the "breaks"...

Lugging a motor with the Torque a HD has will only tear-out the bottom end.... A lot of riders love to hear it but beware of the soon to follow $$$$ it takes to hear that lovely sound...

I usually can tell by the Feel and the Sound IF I AM LUGGING.... It is like any piston motor, apply power to PULL and by doing so at a LOW rpm, damage can-will be done...

The newer model bikes, FI, shut OFF the gas flow on compression at a set RPM, so when using compression Just For The Purpose of SLOWING under compression NO Backfire...

just my way

signed....BUBBIE

This is an interesting thread and I would like to undrestand it better. I think that you are saying that any time I twist the throttle and I do not get a response from the engine and the vibration increases is (lugging). I try to never do this, it is nice to roll through town at a low RPM and I like the idea of one gear down to throttle up.
I have a question about engine braking. When approaching a stop, on my metrics I used to engine brake a lot. Is this recomended on a Harley motor? I typically will shift from 5-3 then EB, then 3-N or 1

The low rpm through town is okay so long as if you need throttle to get out of harms way you have it. Evenly match gear to rpm. So if in a higher gear and low rpm and no acceleration needed engine is not lugging so long as low rpm and gear choice is not causing engine to chug. That is a bad thing. I always downshift and use engine as braking from top gear through to first when stopping preparing for evasive maneuver if needed. Hope this makes sense.

Could you explain "spun the counterbalancer?"

By using the engine as a brake (lugging) while descending a steep grade, the counter balancer failed because of the stress put on the motor.That in turn grenaded the motor.Four grand later, he's back and running again.

Now he uses his clutch and his brakes a bit more.

By using the engine as a brake (lugging) while descending a steep grade, the counter balancer failed because of the stress put on the motor.That in turn grenaded the motor.Four grand later, he's back and running again.

Now he uses his clutch and his brakes a bit more.
I was under the impression that when I do use the engine as brake I am generally increasing the rpm's and it is that compression that is helping me slow down. To me, lugging is when I am at such low rpm's that when I hit the throttle there is no power there and the engine is aching for me to downshift. Am I off base here?
BTW, I see that you are from Central Mass. So am I. I live in Uxbridge. Right now my bike is at Sheldon's getting that rear head exhaust pipe fixed. I had posted on that a few days ago.

I was under the impression that when I do use the engine as brake I am generally increasing the rpm's and it is that compression that is helping me slow down. To me, lugging is when I am at such low rpm's that when I hit the throttle there is no power there and the engine is aching for me to downshift. Am I off base here?
BTW, I see that you are from Central Mass. So am I. I live in Uxbridge. Right now my bike is at Sheldon's getting that rear head exhaust pipe fixed. I had posted on that a few days ago.

There is an excelent explanation of this in a post on here, and for the life of me I cant find it.Basicaly "as I understood it" by using the engine as a brake you put alot of stress on the lower end.Not good.Perhaps glider could elaborate.

Yes, I live in Fitchburg.Travel through Worcester on occasion.Been meaning to do a run around the Quabin.Athough I find NH to be much better riding than Mass.I stay far away from Sheldons.Overpriced and 1 too many horror stories through friends.

I am getting more confused by the minute.

EXACTLY what is luging????

Is ENGINE BREAKING bad??? :newsmile030:

I am getting more confused by the minute.

EXACTLY what is luging????

Is ENGINE BREAKING bad??? :newsmile030:

Lugging refers to an engine RPM that is too low for the road speed of the bike. It will give you the feeling the bike is "grunting" which transmits heavy vibrations as you try to accelerate.

As far as engine breaking, all I can say there is that too much of it isn't a good thing. It's much cheaper to replace brake pads than engines:s

Lugging refers to an engine RPM that is too low for the road speed of the bike. It will give you the feeling the bike is "grunting" which transmits heavy vibrations as you try to accelerate.

As far as engine breaking, all I can say there is that too much of it isn't a good thing. It's much cheaper to replace brake pads than engines:s

You did not answer part (B)

Thanks for part (A) answer.

Glider, when you are going -- lets say 60 MPH, and approach a stop. Do I just twist the throttle off and coast down using engine and brakes - OR - do I pull in the clutch and use brakes only to slow down?

I think that when we just let off the gas to slow down, by definition, this is not good! RIGHT? and what if I were going about 40 in 3rd or 4th gear and just let off the gas - am I using the engine for braking and is that a bad thing?

I ask because I do just as mentioned above. let off the gas and let engine slow me down. I think most of us do that same.

Bill

Back