free website stats program Luggage Weight | Harley Davidson Forums

Luggage Weight

Terrabella

One of the reasons I have read concerning high speed wobbles and \or tank slappers is cause by the bike being overloaded among other things of course. I have a 09 Ultra Classic and ride two up on long trips. So, let’s look at my situation to see if others have any comments or input;

The bike is has a maximum GVWR of 1360 lbs., per factory specifications and its shipping weight is 852 lbs.

Max 1360 GVWR

Two riders’ 460 lbs
Bike 852 lbs
Sub-Total 1312 lbs
Max luggage 48 lbs
Total 1360 lbs

So, the most luggage I can carry and be within the factory tolerances is 48 lbs. Sounds like a lot at first but I know I carry far more than 48 lbs of extra’s on long trips. Has anyone figure how much weight they have carried on trips? I have seen some bikes so loaded it looks as if they are carrying 100 lbs of stuff. In any case, safety is a major concern for most of us and wanted to get some input from others as to how far one goes when adding additional weight and to see if anyone has experienced problems with a overloaded bike.

never checked it, but it's a good question if the rider and passenger are heavyer than average as in your situation. My 08 will not carry as much as your bike (I believe about 75 lbs less), but I would estimate that my total luggage wieght would be about 50lbs when fully loaded. Of course, my tool kit weighes 10lbs. I know I am close to the limit, but feel it handles it OK. Bike still handles good as long as I keep from loading the luggage rack too much! Wife and I combined weight is about 340.

As long as bike handles well and weight is evenly distributed and secured properly, shouldn't be a problem at maximum GVW in my opinion.

I messed up. Total rider weight is 360 not 460 lbs. I can carry much more than first thought.

don't tell your wife if you do make sure you tell her it's your weight you messed up not hers..:newsmile100:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2010 ultra.....(same bike) I know that as long as I pack the saddles with the most wieght and the tour pack with the least I am fine.

The tour pack being the biggest and the most convienent, usually is very easy to over pack. I did this on a trip last year riding only one up and I could feel it big time once I was off the highway and in traffic. I couldn't imagine riding two up with the way I was packed.

The 09's and 10's are top heavy for me to begin with because they sit so high. I have quick disconnect for the tour pack and couldn't believe how heavy it was empty when I took it off.

Once I repacked with the wieght in the saddles It was a whole new animal.

Back