free website stats program luggage rack/seat dilemma | Harley Davidson Forums

luggage rack/seat dilemma

bentz53

Hello. I have an 07 superglide with solo seat that i was going to add the hd luggage rack they make which accepts the passenger pillion. The passenger seat connects to the rack via clips or some fastening device which can be removed when there is no passenger. I called my local hd dealer here in ny and the parts mgr couldnt recommend it. He said there were issues with it but did not explain. Does anyone have experiance with this set-up or know anything pro or con? Thanks

Hello. I have an 07 superglide with solo seat that i was going to add the hd luggage rack they make which accepts the passenger pillion. The passenger seat connects to the rack via clips or some fastening device which can be removed when there is no passenger. I called my local hd dealer here in ny and the parts mgr couldnt recommend it. He said there were issues with it but did not explain. Does anyone have experiance with this set-up or know anything pro or con? Thanks

If you want to run solo and a cheaper fender rack check out Motherwell:s

Had some fellow riders go the "other" way, passenger pillion to solo...be careful to use clear thick mylar sheet between fender and pillion, as it can leave "scuff" marks on your fender. Also, the weight rating of the rack is very conservative due to MOCO "liability reasons...so once you have made your selection be sure to check the tightness of the fasteners and use Blue Loctite for threaded fasteners.

I put the Motherwells solo rack on my Street Bob, but was not happy with the rack. It was not made square and does not line up parallel to my laydown license plate. Might not bother most folks, but it bothers me. One of the mounting points was welded wrong in my opinion. I have not contacted the company, so I do not know what they would do to fix the problem if anything. I purchased the HD quick detach model, but do not have the mounts yet.

I'd be curious to know what the 'issues' are if we are talking about the same setup. I also have an '07 that I'm converting to a solo seat. After the seat is installed, I plan on ordering the rigid solo rack (52796-09) and then the passenger pillion (52689-09) with the sissy bar and pad.

thanks for the info!!I will keep that in mind..

thats exactly what i wanted to do but my dealerships parts mgr did not want to recommend that set-up. Im still hunting for more info!!!

I will look into that option as well. thanks

My wife just bought me a 2010 Street Bob and I requested that they add the quick release sissy bar and passenger pilon. I was expecting to see the luggage reack with the pilon that attaches to it, but when I got the pics I saw that they used a passenger pilon that sits on teh fender and matches up to the solo seat. There is one screw in the back that I can see, I am not sure yet what is involved in removing it, as I have only seen it in the pics. I have added pics of it to my profile, but I am not sure how to add them here. I am actually impressed with the way it looks and am very happy with it.

You can't put a pillon on the fender mounted rack. The weight rating on the rack is only 15 lbs as stated earlier. besides the weight of your passenger would be entirely on the 2 bolts in the fender metal which would surely eventually bend. You must use the strut mounted rack for a rack mounted pillon. Why not just get a 2-up seat and change it out to your solo when riding solo. That's what I do.

2-up
IMG_4295.jpg

solo
SB-AlleySideWS.jpg

You can't put a pillon on the fender mounted rack. The weight rating on the rack is only 15 lbs as stated earlier. besides the weight of your passenger would be entirely on the 2 bolts in the fender metal which would surely eventually bend. You must use the strut mounted rack for a rack mounted pillon. Why not just get a 2-up seat and change it out to your solo when riding solo. That's what I do.

I considered that too... but I want to be able to lash a day bag on for all day trips without needing a passenger config... my dyna is black so I think the black rack will look good with a solo seat... I should know soon :)

Harley-Davidson Dyna Rigid Solo Rack - Black 52796-09

btw... nice bike bigfoot !

Back