Lucas Syn 20w50.

Discussion in 'Oil' started by porkchop, Oct 17, 2010.

1. porkchop

porkchop Active Member

Just put Lucas Syn 20-50 cycle oil in my engine last week and this is the quietest oil yet. So far I am impressed! It dosent seem like too many people use it for some reason but so far its my fav.

2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Probably do to the availability at a local level. Mobil 1 seems to be at most of the auto parts stores.

3. porkchop

porkchop Active Member

I picked it up at O'riellys auto parts, They all carry it.

4. porkchop

porkchop Active Member

I hear ya on the additives. I dont beleive in using them, they simply mask a problem that needs fixing.

5. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Ran Lucas Syn 20W-50 in my Sporty, worked just fine, but I change my oil every 3,000 miles, so reason was for cost...O-Reily' price at $6.99 everyday, is very good and is rated for use in V-Twins...Mobil 1 V-Twin is $10.95 everyday (may find it on sale for about $2 off) !:D

6. HOLY DIVER

HOLY DIVER Junior Member

i have run mobil 1 20w-50 v-twin for 3 years now no problems very happy but it has crossed my mind a few times to give lucas full syn 20w-50 a try might do that next oil change i know AMS oil is a good product but there advertising tactics ....i don't care for...so there oil will never rest in my crank case

7. tobaman

tobaman Member

i've used the lucas 20w-50 and so far no big problem. but i've found out, in "stop n go traffic", the knocking "tic tic tic" sound comes around if i open the throttle abruptly, i'd assume that happens because the engine temp is high not getting enough air to cool down in traffic jam (climate is also warm). But if i open gas gently, no knocking. That knocking also happened when i used hd sae50.

is that because of the high temp or the oil?

8. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Tobaman, are you running premium gas, and are you running EFI (w/fueler) or Carb (w/enriched jetting)? May also want to check the plugs and possibly use decarboning combustion chambers using H20...:D

9. wilks3

wilks3 Junior Member

High temps. The knocking is most probably detonation from high cylinder temps.
    Only does it in stop-n-go, so engine gets hot and knocks.
    wilks3

10. tobaman

tobaman Member

on super or RON92 and carburettor... h2o??

yep only in traffic jams. after getting out the traffic jams, i kinda have to open the gas slowly to reach higher speed to get more air so that the engine gets air. usually after getting cooled down, no more knockings.