free website stats program Lubricating cables | Harley Davidson Forums

Lubricating cables

Jeff Klarich

Experienced Member
Contributor
This idea may not make me a millionaire but I found it to be very helpful with no mess.

When I last lubricated my cables I used Marvel Mystery Oil, how I did this is the reason for the thread.
I filled an old syringe ( the needle kind) inserted it into the cable housing at the top and filled until it weeped out the bottom.

I was quite impressed with how it worked and how Marvel Mystery Oil worked to lube the cables.

I've been using MMO in the cables for years and other then them just wearing out after years of use I've never had a problem.

Is this also with the clutch cable??? Cause I do not have and throttle cables.;)
Marvel has always worked great in air tools and so many other things, so I think its a great idea using for cables Jeff. Good thread.

Is this also with the clutch cable??? Cause I do not have and throttle cables.;)
Marvel has always worked great in air tools and so many other things, so I think its a great idea using for cables Jeff. Good thread.
Yes, clutch cable too, it helps to turn bars to the right and lean bike as well.

This idea may not make me a millionaire but I found it to be very helpful with no mess.

When I last lubricated my cables I used Marvel Mystery Oil, how I did this is the reason for the thread.
I filled an old syringe ( the needle kind) inserted it into the cable housing at the top and filled until it weeped out the bottom.

I was quite impressed with how it worked and how Marvel Mystery Oil worked to lube the cables.
Will have to get me some ,it's good for cleaning rust

I'd been using Blaster PB50 for my cables for years. I used to park my bike at work in the scorching Nev sun and thought that was the reason the topside of my clear coated SS Clutch cable turned dark brown. It looked "burned". Then I discovered that the bottom of the cable where it goes into the tranny was brown too. The sun couldn't do that too right? Besides, why didn't my throttle cables do the same thing? They were "closer to the sun"! I believe it was the PB50. I've used that stuff on everything from my garage door rollers to bicycles and dirt bikes. I may try something clear now, like a silicone spray. But no more colored products for me. Marvel Mystery Oil was my old man's go to for "refreshing" a motor back in the '60s. One of those smells you'll never get out of your head. These days I use a vet syringe. You can get them at any Feed and Supply Store. They work great for adding fluids to things like forks, and if you put a little hose on the end, you can remove fluid from an over filled trans too!

Back