free website stats program lowering rear FXD 2002 | Harley Davidson Forums

lowering rear FXD 2002

Tuukka

Hi, I have stock shocks on my bike. If I am gonna change rear shocks to 1" lower ones do I have to change front springs too? If I change only rear shocks how much and how will driving change in low and high speed. Any experiences?
Thanks

Lowering just the rear can effect the handling of the bike in that it changes the front end geometry. It will also bottom out sooner riding two up and possibly in curves on irregular surfaces. If you want to retain the handling, I would do the front end too but it does make the bike ride noticeably harder.

lowered my bike approx. 2" with short shocks. chose not to lower the front because visually it doesn't look too uneven and it still offers some decent ground clearance.
ride-wise, i am diggin it. feels like the center-of-gravity is lower, therefore making the bike less top-heavy. also, the front-end feels lighter in the steering dept. - a definite plus at low speeds. high (freeway) speeds and cornering it all feels good to me - planted, stable. only issue for me is i sometimes drag my outside pipe in tight right-handers, but than can be fun too.

Attachments

• profile.jpg
    profile.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 42
You should retain the geometry of the bike by lowering front and rear equal amounts. Since you are looking for an inch you can raise the tubes in the triple clamp 1 inch and retain the stock travel in the front. These types of mods may be pleasing to some eyes but will deminish the performance of the bike.

I lowered the rear only of my 03 Superglide 2 in. with shocks and have no issues with handling. I replaced the stock mufflers with Krome works slipons that look like the stock one but have a smaller diameter and flow better and I rarely scrap them in turns and I ride aggresively.But I also ride solo so keep that in mind when riding two up.

Back