free website stats program lowering my sportster | Harley Davidson Forums

lowering my sportster

trat

I have a 2000 XLH, I plan to install a 3" lowering kit in the rear......My question...... is what about the kickstand? The bike has been lowered 1" before I got it and it seems to sit too straight up on the stand now. If I go 2 more inches its gonna be straight up and fall over, won't it. I have seen 1 and 2 inch shorter stands listed on line. Should I pop for one of those, if so which one? Or can I just heat and bend the stand I have now? Any one have any thoughts on this? I'm gonna paint the stand black anyway so heating it won't matter. It will look ok after painting.

if the kickstand will say strong and not be greatly weakend by the heat,id say go for it...as saving money is never a bad thing, if it does the job..when you heat it up and bend it,you could heat it up again till its litterally red hot,then quench it in oil to 'Taper' it...its how blacksmiths stregthen metals. :newsmile048:

good luck mate

Wolfman

Remember that heating and bending will change where the stand fits to the frame when it is up.

You may want to keep in mind that changing the geometry on one end of the bike and not the other, could cause some serious handling issues.

If you still have taillights and the wires are under the fender,you lower the bike
3 inches you could chafe your wires off.
Unless you have a hardtail.

You may want to keep in mind that changing the geometry on one end of the bike and not the other, could cause some serious handling issues.
I have used this same kit on another XL and it actually rides better although you have to set the shocks at the stiffest setting to keep from getting into the tail light wires. If it affects this bike diferently it is easy to set back. about a 30 min job.

If you still have taillights and the wires are under the fender,you lower the bike
3 inches you could chafe your wires off.
Unless you have a hardtail.
No, no hard tail yet at least on this bike.....my XS650 is a hard tail......I found this out the hard way on another XL but I found that if you set the shocks at the stiffest setting and only ride one up, which I do, my lady rides her own, and I have a solo seat, you can get buy with it!

Back