free website stats program Lowering my 2011 Street Glide | Harley Davidson Forums

Lowering my 2011 Street Glide

Vegas Sam

I need to have my 2011 SG lowered. Has anyone had their SG lowered by a dealership recently and about what was the cost?

Sam

The street glide is already the lowered version of the Electraglide. Maybe try different seats that will lower you.

Lowering will negatively affect the ride and lean angle. Be aware of both of those issues going in to it.

Do not by any means use any type of shock relocation brackets. As stated find a lower saddle, have upholstery shop rebuild yours so to sit lower. As to installing shorter shocks, the ride quality will really become very hard and destroy what ride quality the bike has now. I would first get a pair of lineman boots or have the largest heel and sole install in the boots you have already, which is probably the best place to start then the seat idea...........

I don't have a SG but I do have an EG bought it new in 08 and had the dealer do a BURLY Slam Kit on it. Lowered the front 2 inches and rear 2 inch added a diffrent seat and between the two I actually sit almost 4 1/2 inches lower.
Now most people will say there will be adverse affects to the handling of the bike, however; I have expierienced none of this with the BURLY Slam kit as everything was kept even. I now have over 30,000 thousand miles on it and still is an awsome ride.
As long as the correct numbers are kept the process should be easy and the average mech can install the kit. I had the dealer do mine as it was part of the purchase package.
If you only need the seating a hair lower then stick with just the seat option. Either way good luck and be safe.

Agree to the lowering blocks - I tried them and the bike felt squirlly. I removed them and went with boots, upholstery mod, and lots of saddle time and now feel comfortable.

Try the boots first followed by a lower seat. I put a mustang low touring seat on my ultra as well as boots. I also had the dealer lower the bike to SG specs. Only adverse effect is it bottoms out in rough patches riding two up with luggage. For me was worth the trade off as when fully loaded I dropped it because the cg was too high to hold the bike upright with one leg when it leaned over too far at a stop. YMMV
WAP.gif

I have a ultra classic which I had the rear lowered 2in. This to me did not give the results I was looking for and when 2 up it does bottom out when riding on rough streets. The best thing I did was send my seat to mean city cycles and had the seat modified to lower seat height 2.5in. Seat is still very comfortable and now I can flat foot the bike when I stop. It was a cost effective way to achieve the result I was after JMO.

I had a HD reach seat installed with no real change. Then I sent the seat to mean city. Got it back and could not tell I was any lower. I guess I should have started with the boot idea of thicker soles and higher heels, I guess I will try that next. I need it to be about 2 inches lower. Not comfortable being on my tip toes.

Sam

Back