free website stats program Lowering an FLHS | Harley Davidson Forums

Lowering an FLHS

kedoba

I have a '93 FLHS and was considering lowering it. I looked in a catalog for front and rear lowering kits and they recommended against lowering for street applications. Does anyone have experience with lowering both front and back on an FLHS and if it is OK to lower what are some good kits to get to do this? Thanks.

I have a '93 FLHS and was considering lowering it. I looked in a catalog for front and rear lowering kits and they recommended against lowering for street applications. Does anyone have experience with lowering both front and back on an FLHS and if it is OK to lower what are some good kits to get to do this? Thanks.

I lowered my 92 FLHS it did not ride right after

Do not use shock lowering brackets. The change the angle of the shocks and compromise ride.
Progressive shocks and springs may be a option.

Do not use shock lowering brackets. The change the angle of the shocks and compromise ride.
Progressive shocks and springs may be a option.

They will give you a pogo feel :s

kedoba,
How tall are you that you need to lower yor bike? I'm 5'4" tall and both my 84 & 88 Classics retained the original seats and shocks and I could get both feet on the ground. Why mess with the suspension when you can get a custom made seat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 5'10 and don't have any trouble putting my feet down and I have a Mustang seat on the bike. I was just considering ways to lower the center of gravity on the bike. It doesn't sound like lowering is recommended.

I'm 5'7" and ride a 2010 Ultra Limited. I felt it was a little tall for me. My previous ride was a 2004 Fatboy. After hearing the price on lowering the bike, I took my riding boots to a shoe repair shop and had about a half inch added to the sole and heal. This worked out great for only about $50.
Now I hear that the 2011 FLHTK has a lower seat. Go figure. Maybe I'll keep my eyes open for a 2011 "take-off" seat for sale.

I was considering the new Progressive 940's for a lowered stance:

Harley Suspension :: Harley Davidson Fork :: Progressive Suspension

Anyone tried these?

My bike has a fully manageable slow wobble at steady high-speed turns, but it gets a bit scary if I accellerate through the same turns. As my shocks are old, I was thinking that they could be part of the problem. I am playing with the idea of lowering the rear a bit...
Progressive has another shock that looks good, the 418 with adjustable rebound damping. They do not come in stock length (13") though, nearest is 12.5" length.

I agree that lowering brackets are awful. The previous owner of my bike had them installed which made the seat angle awkward and uncomfortable. Taking them off was the best mod I have done on my bike. I would never recommend those brackets to anyone.

Back