free website stats program Lowering a Road Glide | Harley Davidson Forums

Lowering a Road Glide

Lizzard

Has anyone tried lowering the new 2011 Road Glide Ultra? I am trying the LA Choppers lowering kit and I am worried about bottoming out the fender when packed for a road trip. I ride two-up all the time. Are the factory shocks already 1 inch low?

Yep! That is what the Harley Tech told me. Still I was "Tippy-Toeing". I needed that extra inch from the LA Lowering kit. Any thoughts or ideas?

Before you do anything to the suspension check out what seats are available. Harley usually has a seat for their models that will lower you 1 inch. There is one that keeps coming up here on the forum, I think it's Mean City Seats, that will reform yours to the situation you give them. Altering the suspension may not make the bike suitable for two up riding. Also some here have had soles on their boots added to.

Before you do anything to the suspension check out what seats are available. Harley usually has a seat for their models that will lower you 1 inch. There is one that keeps coming up here on the forum, I think it's Mean City Seats, that will reform yours to the situation you give them. Altering the suspension may not make the bike suitable for two up riding. Also some here have had soles on their boots added to.

This is the best advice here, I lowered 2 baggers, never again

I put on Harley lowering shocks in rear it lowers it about an inch. it's rides stiffer though I also bought some brackets that will lower it three inches made locally by someone but haven't put them on. I think I will go with the seat first as, lowering it anymore may effect how bike handles. I went with the lower shock but kept my stock ones just in case I switch back if, their is a seat for me. I wouldn't recomend lowering rear more then an inch, without lowering the front springs too if you go that route.

My usual advice is take boots to a good shoemaker explain what you need and they should be able to add 1"+ soles and 2"+ heels. Would try this first.
Any type of change to shocks by a lowering kit will reposition shocks which then the loose effectiveness.

I just tried the HD reach seat and it does lower you some but it moved me too far forward. Checked with some upholstery shops and they said couldn't modify seat enough to make much difference. I have a 2009 Road Glide and the stock seat is not too bad. I just traded with guy and got a 2008 Road King seat - not sure if it is stock or not but it is a little wider and maybe slighly lower. It feels better than the stock for me. But these new framed baggers are top heavy not matter what you do. Wish there was a way to eliminate that!!

If you don't want the forward position of the reach seat try the sundowner, it will lower you but not move forward. I would go to a shop that has the fit shop setup and try several different ones.

If you don't want the forward position of the reach seat try the sundowner, it will lower you but not move forward. I would go to a shop that has the fit shop setup and try several different ones.

+1 on the Sundowner. I have a 29" inseam and the Sundowner combined with logging boots solved my height problem with my Road Glide.

Back