free website stats program Lowering a Heritage | Harley Davidson Forums

Lowering a Heritage

Trapshooter

I'm seriously considering lowering the rear of my wife's 07 Heritage. I see HD makes a lowering kit (54001-04A) that sells for $100 or a complete shock kit (54652-05) that sells for $300. Besides the cost what are the pros and cons of going with one or the other. Or is there a good after market setup that would be a better option?

If your decision is based on being able to plant her feet on the ground better I would recommend looking at boots with thicker soles and/or a seat modification instead. A lowering method by changing the suspension may make for a less then desirable ride.

With that said, like everything else, you get what you pay for and if that is the route you will be taking I would look at the complete shock replacement set ups like from Progressive and others rather than going the inexpensive route using a simple lowering kit in hopes to maintain as much of the original ride quality as possible. But then again I am very good at spending other peoples $$ :D

I'm seriously considering lowering the rear of my wife's 07 Heritage. I see HD makes a lowering kit (54001-04A) that sells for $100 or a complete shock kit (54652-05) that sells for $300. Besides the cost what are the pros and cons of going with one or the other. Or is there a good after market setup that would be a better option?

Having had a softail that was lowered from the factory, I would advise you to try riding one before you do it. They ride hard to begin with and when you lower them, they ride like a brick and you have problems with ground clearance.

Having had a softail that was lowered from the factory, I would advise you to try riding one before you do it. They ride hard to begin with and when you lower them, they ride like a brick and you have problems with ground clearance.

As usual, Glider is correct. Have you considered finding a taller wife??? :p

As usual, Glider is correct. Have you considered finding a taller wife??? :p

To be honest...no! But, if it can be done for less than the cost of lowering the bike...... No, let's not go there! :lolrolling

Seriously, I have replaced the seat and she has the boots. Just was thinking if it didn't affect the ride, every little bit helps.

I myself purchased a progressive drop in kit and 422 rear lowering shocks, this was the ticket for me. I am doing this on a 1992 Softail.

One thing many never think about after (AFTER) lowering a bike is the new angle the kick stand will be at. I have lowered a bagger in the past, never again and changing the ride height always compromises the ride and cornering no matter what kit you are using:s

Thanks for the input guys. After hearing what you guys had to say I spent some time looking at used bikes at a couple of dealers around me and actually rode one that had been lowered. I have to agree it did, IMO, have an adverse affect on how the bike handled. The one thing I don't wnat to do is make the bike harder for her to handle of feel uncomfortable to her. As I said in an earlier post she has the reach seat ant tall boots and really doesn't have trouble getting her feet flat on the ground. So, it's going to stay the way it is....

Thanks again!

Back