Lowering 1200l

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by CRAZYDAVE, Feb 6, 2011.

1. CRAZYDAVE

CRAZYDAVE Member

My wife has a 1200 low she wants to lower it,and how much can she lower it with out the rear tire rubbing::)

2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

What are the reasons why she wants to lower??

3. CRAZYDAVE

CRAZYDAVE Member

Reason she wants to lower,she is only 5' 110 lbs she doesn'feel comfertable or very stable.

Thanks
    Dave:

4. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

5. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

I put 1" shorter shocks on my wifes XL that worked good. Be careful you don't get too stiff of a spring rate, it can make it ride like a rigid. We also put a solo gel seat on. The narrower front of the seat helped more than the shocks for stable footing.

6. craig Lee

craig Lee Active Member

On Mz Bling's '06 XL1200 Custom we took the 21" off and put a 19" upfront. Lowered the rear shocks to 10.5", had the front end lowered by 7/8" and put a LePera reach seat that lowered her 2" and pushed her 3" forward. She has 49,700 miles on the bike and has yet sat another bike she would trade it for.

7. whacko

whacko Junior Member

A woman that rides with me from time to time stands 5 foot 1 and she went with a narrower seat and logging boots to touch down better on her sportster 1200 custom. I can't imagine lowering a super low too much more. All the reviews I read on that model complain that the pegs drag at a moderate pace on corners........

8. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Craig has you covered, to be sure have their customer service work with you to find the exact one with proper preload and internal setups for both front and rear. Costs you nothing more but saves you a lot of aggravation! I also used BelRay fork oil because I wanted "slightly stiffer" but still have the comfort as it carries 7.5 wt without any "alchemy"...:D

9. CRAZYDAVE

CRAZYDAVE Member

Re: Lowering 1200 LOW

Thanks
    Dave