free website stats program Lower rpm’s at higher speed help | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Lower rpm’s at higher speed help

Maybe some one out there KNOWS where to get HD's pre-made so we don't have to go and fabricate one.
signed....BUBBIE

I just found an article in Hot Bike that has a kit with a 27 tooth compensator and longer chain to match. Cost is about $125. Illusion Motorsoprts in Orange County, CA.

This may be the ticket to lower rpm's like I want to do. They may have other options on these sprockets. I have contacted them for more info. I'll keep you all posted.

I just found an article in Hot Bike magazine that shows a kit for this project.

Sorry, I forgot to mention the issue of Hot Bike, it is November 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just found an article in Hot Bike that has a kit with a 27 tooth compensator and longer chain to match. Cost is about $125. Illusion Motorsoprts in Orange County, CA.

This may be the ticket to lower rpm's like I want to do. They may have other options on these sprockets. I have contacted them for more info. I'll keep you all posted.

Sorry, I forgot to mention the issue of Hot Bike, it is November 2010.
Thanks for the information..

This may be the solve for the thread here as "Opposite" of going smaller but to a Larger More tooth sprocket....

geezer wants to go smaller tooth on the engine so he can run 6th gear at a legal speed limit.. Problem is that you have to go direct to engine shaft with the replacement gear without using the compensator....(34 tooth stock and to 30 tooth to reduce gearing, and increase about 300 rpm).

I haven't checked with your suggested people yet but the thought I have is to machine off the 34 teeth from the SE boss (re-use), then machine out the the 30 tooth boss and reattach the 30 tooth onto the SE comp. boss so it can be used as intended but with the lower gear.

ON gearing UP, you need a larger engine sprocket (more teeth= engine at lower rpm).

ON gearing down, you need a smaller engine sprocket (fewer teeth= engine at higher rpm).

Thanks and for other information when you get it..

signed....BUBBIE

Just got in and see Bubbie is doing all the leg work for me, very much appreciated. Glider sent me a link to Romney Cycles in WV and they also sell the 30 tooth sprocket and shorter chain but I would have to eliminate the compensator and I don't think I want to do this because of added stress to the crank and bottom end. I put the SE compensator on last winter so I have the stock comp sprocket on the my bench. Not sure if the sliding cam is the same on the stock or SE compensator or maybe the sprockets are the same. After the holidays I'll find out for sure and go to the machine shop and see which way they would suggest to go, they make a 30T sprocket for me or I buy the 30T sprocket and they machine the bosses out of both and weld the 30T on my compensator boss. Reading on another forum the guys that have changed to the 30T are real happy with the lower gearing but say without the compensator there is more vibration. First gear is lower for putting around tight spots and 6th gear is more user friendly. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy riding at 70-80 mph but with a 60 mph speed limit up here the tickets add up fast. Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack the thread.

I have contacted them for more info. I'll keep you all posted.

Hmmmm, here is the reply I recieved from Illusion Motorcycles:

"The kit reduces engine rpm by 8%. It replaces your stock primary chain with a half link longer chain and it replaces your compensater sprocket with a 2 tooth larger one. The installation is as per owners manual OEM. Very simple. No mods. Bolt in takes one hour or less for qualified mechanic Kit costs 159.22 plus 15 shipping.
You need to provide us with your model and year info as well as a tooth count of your existing compensator so we can determine which kit you need."

Undecided for now!!!
:panic

Hmmmm, here is the reply I recieved from Illusion Motorcycles:

"The kit reduces engine rpm by 8%. It replaces your stock primary chain with a half link longer chain and it replaces your compensater sprocket with a 2 tooth larger one. The installation is as per owners manual OEM. Very simple. No mods. Bolt in takes one hour or less for qualified mechanic Kit costs 159.22 plus 15 shipping.
You need to provide us with your model and year info as well as a tooth count of your existing compensator so we can determine which kit you need."

Undecided for now!!!
:panic

That would do you GREAT, 8% is enough to make a big enough difference and you could live with the increase.. 8%/240 rpm Less at about 3000 = 2760 RPM..

One thing to check "If" It Still (allows) Uses The Stock comp. OR SE comp.. I would NOT want to go direct off the engine.. Using the stock Comp. is the way to go..

Maybe let us know please when you fid out..

signed....BUBBIE

One thing to check "If" It Still (allows) Uses The Stock comp. OR SE comp.. I would NOT want to go direct off the engine.. Using the stock Comp. is the way to go..
Maybe let us know please when you fid out..signed....BUBBIE

I asked the manufacturer "Does this work with my stock compensator, or does it replace the compensator"? Their answer was, "it replaces the gear only".

Not quite as clear an answer as I was looking for, but I think that means the compensator stays. So I think it would work for me, but now I am having second thoughts about going through with it. If I go for it, I'll let you all know.

I need to pull my primary gearcase to fix a leak at the trans shift shaft seal. I am working on a 2002 Dyna Wide Glide (fxdwg).

While I am in there I was thinking, I have seen some kits that use a larger compensator sprocket and primary chain to lower the engine rpms at a given speed.

So I am looking for input. If I am ever going to make the change, it makes sense to do it now while everything will be apart to do the job, for either conversion.

Any comments will be appreciated.
:eam

Well I decided against the conversion after all. Not that it seemed like a bad idea, but I have been thinking "Geezer Glide" lately. It would be a waste of money to convert the Dyna, then trade for the "GG". And, the next owner may not like the converesion any way.

But it was lucky I went for the trans shift shaft seal. I found my stator black as can be and somewhat toasted looking. I can't believe I wasn't having charging problems yet. So mercy was with me and I changed the startor while I was in there.

Happy New Year to all,

Back