free website stats program Lower rocker oil leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Lower rocker oil leak

r44s

On the 2000 883L have oil suddenly began to leak out of the lower rocker cover left side rear of back cylinder. Has the gasket given up with only 8500 miles? Any help would be appreciated. First drip noticed yesterday after a short 100 mile ride.

My friends 08 Sporty 883 XL is leaking the same. Can the rocker covers be removed without taking the engine out of the frame?
Thanks

Yes they can be removed with the engine in the frame and its a fairly simple job but would be best to have a service manual to hand to assist you with torque settings and correct procedures

Brian

Had to replace my cover gasket on my '07 XL at about the same mileage. (Front cylinder)... Be sure it's not just the top gasket leaking down & making you think it's the bottom, by cleaning the area very well, Restart & check closely with a light, as the bottom gasket is more involved to change. I ordered "Cometic" gaskets & had very good results.

Repair manual a big plus here, the rocker boxes should be removed in a sequence and reinstalled in a sequence and torqued per the manual specs

Back