free website stats program Lower fairings or not | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Lower fairings or not

put hard lowers on my rk police for winter. tried soft lowers but didn't like them. went back to hard lowers when it gets cold. real cold. not 30-40*

Have been riding my Ultra with lowers throughout Canada in the summer and touring CA, AZ,NM and TX in the winter months, I have never considered removing the lowers. Last winter a bud of mine met me in Corpus Christi and rented a '10 Ultra however the dealer had removed the lowers I guess to save from scratches. One day we switched bikes, I couldn't wait to get back to mine with the lowers. The retractable vents on the newer models are great when the day heats up.

I've got the quick release hardware on my 08 ultra. I take them off in the warm summer months. They are nice in the spring and fall. IMO I like the looks of the bike with them off, but they are really nice in cool weather.

Several options and many opinions. All of them spot on and not really all that helpful to You. It must be what You want. I would suggest taking the test rides on all the touring type bikes. See and feel the differences so you can decide what fits you the best.
For me, the Ultra, with all the bells and whistles, is what I wanted since I was a kid looking at the Full Dressers. Only took me to being 59 to own one.

I think you said you said you were looking into a "touring bike". I have a RG and the HD lowers made a huge difference in buffeting. I added vents to my lowers and it moves the heat away from the legs when moving, especially on the right side.

I did have soft lowers and sold them to members here once I went to HR lowers. I'm in FL and run them year round.

Ride safe and have fun!

Several options and many opinions. All of them spot on and not really all that helpful to You. It must be what You want. I would suggest taking the test rides on all the touring type bikes. See and feel the differences so you can decide what fits you the best.
For me, the Ultra, with all the bells and whistles, is what I wanted since I was a kid looking at the Full Dressers. Only took me to being 59 to own one.
But you did it and it was finally worth the wait! Good for you!:s

I used to take my lowers on and off. Now I just leave them on all the time. I like them and feel they are quite useful.

Initially I bought lowers to extend my riding season, but liked the look, functionality & extra storage so much they never come off. Agree w/Grillfish - great protection from wind/debris & really help w/wind. On;y time I remove now is for an occasional deep cleaning.

Seems I recall someone doing a thread that compared the cost of making a street glide into an ultra classic and vise-versa. If I recall it was cheaper to have everythihng and take it off (quick detach is a great thing) than it was to add it where it wasn't i.e. ultra = removing, street glide = adding (the ultra's, at least the older ones, are more difficult to convert than the classics, but not enough to worry about; where there's a will, there's a way). I know I love my ultra, I do however take the lowers off in the summer, don't know if the bike runs cooler or not, but it seems to make my legs a little cooler in the summer. I say 60 degrees or warmer, no lowers, below 60 for any amout of time, lowers on, of course I don't spend much time in traffic, so you may have to adjust accordingly. As far as the comment about being able to keep your feet on the boards, I still ride my Low rider too, so thats not a big deal to me. I know in cool weather there is only one way to go & thats with lowers.

Back