free website stats program Lower Fairing Replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Lower Fairing Replacement

BobKash

New member. Took off my lowers on my Limited this summer. Can't get them back on. Is there a method or do I pay a shop? Thanks. bk

New member. Took off my lowers on my Limited this summer. Can't get them back on. Is there a method or do I pay a shop? Thanks. bk

dbmg has you fixed up...

I just want to welcome you to the forum!

You will soon find, on many things, there is no need to "pay a shop", as you will find all the help and guidance you may need to tackle whatever your skill level allows. Bonus: your skill level will increase by being a member here and you will soon be doing more and more on your own.

Welcome Aboard!
GG

Thanks for the tip but I don't want to buy the kit. They only show how to install the quick take off and on parts. I still can't figure out how to install just the original lowers. I have the shop manual. It just says "install the lower part, then the upper". I can't get the bolts on the outside cap to slide into the larger piece. Might just buy the soft lowers, cheaper than paying a shop. Thanks. bk

Removing them...
All you have to do is remove the snap covers to the storage compartments. Inside on the forward end you'll see 2 nuts which need to come off. Careful, because these hold the front (painted) "dome" on to the upper half of the lowers. Be sure you hold onto this dome as you remove the second nut. Then at the bottom of each lower is a torx head bolt that holds the bottom of the lowers to your crash bar. The nut on the other end of this bolt is a nylon locking nut, so you'll need to use the appropriate wrench on it.
That's it, just three fasteners on either side, and your lowers are off.

Reinstalling...
Take note that both the lower and upper mounting points are somewhat "variable". That is to say that you should loosely mount the upper two bolts, then loosely mount the lower bolt. Adjust both sides (both lowers) so they are of equal distance from the center mounting bolt on your crash bars , then tighten your nuts/bolts down. Be careful not to over tighten them, you don't want to break the bolt mounting points .

BobKash; lowers go together like a puzzle & I find it easiest to work the bottom lower(s) in over floorboards & shifter/brake pedals (whichever side you're working on 1st) & then hold in place while aligning top screws into the matching holes. Put nuts/bolts on loose so you can line-up bottom mount & snug-up top...then bottom until tight. If you get the "quick-connect" hw from HD - makes install/un-install easier. Good luck!

Back