free website stats program Lower Dyna | Harley Davidson Forums

Lower Dyna

lowrider1963

I've got a 2010 Dyna Glide Custom and am getting a touring seat with a little more padding for those long runs. But only being 5'-6" , I will need to lower my bike about an 1". The shocks HD offers say they will fit, but not lower 2010 Dynas. Has anyone lowered their 2010 Dyna, and if so, what type of shock did you install? Also, after installation, how was the ride? Any issues with bottoming out?

Thanks

There are plenty of threads on lowering with good results. Bottoming out depends on your weight, passenger, load and riding conditions...however it has been done by many with success. Top one you'll find referred to by many are Progressive Shocks. But you probably don't want to go down much more than an 1" from stock...any further and you will definitely be bottoming out.

Standing only 5'-5" the only thing I can say when it comes to lowering a bike is "Progressive". I have lowered at least 5 Dynas in my life and all of them had rode great. Handling wise and take this to heart, do not lower the rear any more than one (1) inch. Any more than that will affect handling in an adverse direction.Should you need to go more than an inch consider a slam kit that will allow you to lower both front and back. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I have always been partial to the 430 series. As bigfoot mentioned Burly Brand is also very good as well. I did a complete slam kit in my Electra Glide with them.
I heard rumor that Burly Brand and Progressive are one and the same. Kind of like Snap-On tools and Blue Ploint are the same. Just saying, either way both are great products.

Haven't seen anybody suggest it so thought I'd throw it out there. Why don't you raise your foot an inch. (get a bigger heal on boot). Seems to be cheaper and won't affect your handling like lowering bike will.

Haven't seen anybody suggest it so thought I'd throw it out there. Why don't you raise your foot an inch. (get a bigger heal on boot). Seems to be cheaper and won't affect your handling like lowering bike will.

Very good info, If you lower your bike check the kickstand angle, this will change, I would opt for thicker soled boots also, after lowering 2 baggers, I did not like the ride. I also removed a burly slammer kit from my neighbors Streetbob, He did mot like the ride

Jack you hit a major point their. When lowering your bike DO NOT overlook the kickstand or jiffy stand as HD calls it. Like I said earlier I lowered my EG with a Burly Slam Kit and now if I park the bike and turn the front wheel to the right the bike WILL fall over to the right. It is all about cause and effect. Fortunaly they make shorter kick/jiffy stands these days.

Finally got around to installing my new Progressive 412 shocks. The lowered my ride about an 1", which helps me flat foot the bike better. Rides smooth, except if I hit a larger bump or divot in the road, then the ride is a bit stiff. But that is to be expected as I lost an 1" of travel from my original shocks (and only weight 145 lbs, not enough size to really depress shocks). As for the kickstand issue Jack mentioned, there is no change, as expected. Not sure about the EG, but on the Dyna, since the shocks pull the seat down to lower it, there is no change to the lower frame, which is where the kickstand is mounted.

Back