free website stats program Lower Back Pain | Harley Davidson Forums

Lower Back Pain

I am still having issues with my 09 Ultra Classic. I am waiting for the first service next week to make some adjustments but I am undecided. I am 5'11" and my lower back starts to seize up after 1/2 hour. I know I am stretching for the handle bars a bit. The dealer wants me to try a reach seat but I am worried that I will be too close to the floor boards and controls. Believe it or not my back is worse when I wear my harley boots (with a 2" heel) so I have been riding in running shoes. I am going to get them to tip the handle bars back a bit. I have read about Mustang, Corbin and Sundowner seats. I am considering a back rest too!! Living in Canada may limit what I can buy. Oh yeah...the weather is still cold up here so that could be part of the problem. I just want to be comfortable for long rides.

My advice would be to try a backrest before you change the seat or anything else. I'm 5'8" and was reaching for the bars too until I installed a backrest. End of problem! We all have a tendency to slouch when we've been riding for 15 or 20 minutes but the backrest keeps you sitting comfortably upright. Try it...you may find it's the solution.

ya wanna bring the handle bars back to you if your leabing forward to grab them .. moving yourself forward more is probley not going to be comfortable .. im 6 "0 and had to lean for the bars on my RKC and had the same problem a hour ride was terrible changed the bars could probley still go longer and am much more comfortable

Geezer,
Let me know what happens. I also have an issue, but it is between my shoulder blades and only after a few hours. I thought about the reach seat as well as a lowering with shocks. I am just about convinced it is the bars. I think bars will do the trick without compromising the ride. I am afraid the shocks will effect the ride and the reach seat is questionable for me. I sat on a bike in the showroom with one and it definetely lowers you, but I thought it was less comfy and crowded me. I am leaning toward bars that will give me a couple inches. I just want to get it right the first time. :-(

I think the back rests are transferable to a new seat later on so that is probably a good place to start. I am in my 50's with a little arthritis in my right hip so it might be fun getting on the bike with the back rest. I just love getting old.

Last edited:
Smitty:
Are you callin me old????? LOL! How true....... heck, if I jumped off a 5 foot ledge I can feel it. I remember when I jumped off our roof from nearly 15 feet and grabbed another bundle of shingles and up the ladder I went. The other day at the park with the Grandkids I tried the overhead rungs and could barley make it to the other side. It is depressing....... oh well......

I think the back rest are transferable to a new seat later on so that is probably a good place to start. I am in my 50's with a little arthritis in my right hip so it might be fun getting on the bike with the back rest. I just love getting old.

Geezer,
I did get the backrest. it made a BIG differnece. I would recommend it.:s

Last edited by a moderator:
Smitty:
Are you callin me old????? LOL! How true....... heck, if I jumped off a 5 foot ledge I can feel it. I remember when I jumped off our roof from nearly 15 feet and grabbed another bundle of shingles and up the ladder I went. The other day at the park with the Grandkids I tried the overhead rungs and could barley make it to the other side. It is depressing....... oh well......

I can sympathize with that,went up the lake yesterday and rode my mountain bike a bit,then again today,now I can hardly walk :(

Yeah Smitty I play hockey all winter but I have been kind of relaxing a bit on the exercise since it ended in April. I have been starting to stretch and work out a bit but it is hard to get motived until hockey season starts again. But you are right ...i will have to use the Harley as my motivation...thanks coach!!!

I'd have to give a vote for the backrest. I've had lower back surgery and broken tail bone. The ONLY way I can ride for any distance is to have a backrest and engine guard pegs which take some of the pressure off the lower back and especially the tailbone. Without these two items, I'm good for about an hour. . . . for the day. I now ride with some discomfort on day rides, but I can ride.
Ugly John

This is one of those problems that if you ask a dozen people, you'll get a dozen answers, all of which have merit. I don't have a backrest on my '99 Ultra, but I do have a Mustang seat, and it is well worth the money. Hope you find the solution. Oh, as another option, I have found that regular visits to my chiropractor really does wonders for my back.

Back