free website stats program low speed wobble | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

low speed wobble

Let me run this by you. This bike has so much stuff packed in the bags, tour pack, has a big bag strapped to the top of the tour pack, then it has a radar detecter, gps, iphone attatched to the handlebars. Also has a trailer hitch. I think I should unload the bike and take all this stuff off the bars and see if it makes a difference. Another thing, if you dont relax your grip on the bars, it seems fine. It is alot more noticable on decel.

In post #6 you had said you didnt get even one full swing when you did the fallaway test. If that is the case the steering head is too tight and can cause symptoms you are describing.
One thing to note is if the steering head bearings have been overtightened the bearing cups can have fine intents not visible to the eye from the bearing rollers. One way to check if the bearings are rough is to lift the bike and remove the front wheel. Then turn the handle bars back and forth and see if it feels "notchy", I have seen more than once where overtightening of the steering has caused damage to tapered bearings thus causing a wobble noticed generally when decellerating and at slow speeds.
If bearings feel fine just set them properly. JMO

Last edited:
I adjusted the steering head bearings today to where the front end turned back and forth 3 times then settled just a little before center in the swing test, torqued the steering head bolt to 75 foot pounds, did the swing test again and got the same result. I also unloaded all the baggage off the bike. Test drove the bike and the shake is still there. I even called the Harley dealer just to see if they might have some insight to the problem and their solution was dont relax your grip on the bars, thats just the way the bike reacts. Totally disappointed.

Next I would check the swingarm to make sure it is not loose, pop the caps off the pivots and check torque on each side. lift bike check for side to side play on the swingarm, check rear wheel bearings for play while you are at it. Just tryin to give you some suggestions..

Back