free website stats program low speed wobble | Harley Davidson Forums

low speed wobble

nascar7613

2010 SE Ulra has a bad wobble in the handlebars at 30 mph. If I relax my grip on the handlebars at around 30 mph, the front end shakes violantely. Tires look good. Any ideas?

First things that come to my mind is tire is out of balance and steering head out of adjustment. Others with more knowledge will chime in.

I started getting a little of that action around 12k miles, so I was careful about the, ' look ma, no hands,' kinda of thing'. New rubber cleared that problem up and I'll know to look for it around the same miles later! Right now, they're good! Just my $0.02.:breakdance:cheers

If you have laced wheels, there were issues with wobbles on touring models. Spokes were not seating properly on the hub and loosening causing the wobble especially when decelerating. If you have cast wheels, a balance problem or a cupped tire can have the same effect. A small amount of cupping, not usually visible to the eye is enough to upset the balance of the front end.

Had that problem on my softail, had the fallaway adjusted and the spokes adjusted and it was time for tires, replaced. No more problem. I'm not sure which really solved the issue, my gut is the tires out of balance or spokes.

This bike is a customers bike. I rode it this morning for the first time. I can actually feel the wobble as soon as the bike starts moving. It has mag wheels. I put the bike on a lift and spun the front wheel, didnt notice anything unusual. Checked the torque on the front axle, a little tight but I readjusted it. When I tried the swing test, the front end doesnt even make 1 full swing. There are a few accessories on the bars, but I wouldnt think that there is enough to affect it that much. What do you think?

This bike is a customers bike. I rode it this morning for the first time. I can actually feel the wobble as soon as the bike starts moving. It has mag wheels. I put the bike on a lift and spun the front wheel, didnt notice anything unusual. Checked the torque on the front axle, a little tight but I readjusted it. When I tried the swing test, the front end doesnt even make 1 full swing. There are a few accessories on the bars, but I wouldnt think that there is enough to affect it that much. What do you think?

Got another wheel/tire you can throw on there just to see if that cleans up the wobble? If so, then I would suspect tire or warped brake discs. When you had the bike on the lift and spun the wheel, you should have seen or heard any brake disc issues.

TQ

I can hear the pads scrubbing the rotors a little bit, and the wheel doesnt just spin freely, the brakes slow it down. Its not tight, but the pads dont totally release from the rotor. The wobble is especially noticable on decel at low speeds.

Perhaps it is worth taking the brake pads out and spin the wheel to see how well it spins without restriction
Also with the wheel off the ground grab top and bottom of wheel and try and pull and push in opposite direction to see if the wheel bearings are good

Brian

I can hear the pads scrubbing the rotors a little bit, and the wheel doesnt just spin freely, the brakes slow it down. Its not tight, but the pads dont totally release from the rotor. The wobble is especially noticable on decel at low speeds.

Push the pads back a bit and try it without using the front brake, but proceed with caution. Do you have a dial indicator? If so set it up and check the wheel for true

Back