free website stats program Low speed wobble | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Low speed wobble

I'm gonna throw rear wheel offset into the fray. This can cause a wobble and tightening the neck bearings may mask it for awhile. Google Harley Davidson rear wheel offset for a simple way of checking alignment

Well in my case front tire replaced 2 times, rear once. True of both rims and front wheel bearings replaced and of course a bunch of other little things, all thou I never get to see what they do just what they tell me. Good Luck and let us know if they cure your trouble.

well I took the bike to a non harley but old school mechanics (still certified) they found the problem. the bike came with bags and a tour pack, all were empty, the mech pulled the tour pack off, problem fixed. put 500 miles on bike without tour pack , rides like a dream. this was a harley approved accy, yet they missed the problem.

well I took the bike to a non harley but old school mechanics (still certified) they found the problem. the bike came with bags and a tour pack, all were empty, the mech pulled the tour pack off, problem fixed. put 500 miles on bike without tour pack , rides like a dream. this was a harley approved accy, yet they missed the problem.

What? I don't follow. Splain me again, slowly.

TQ

the mech, never even touched the bike, looked at , said he had seen this before, told me to take the tour pac off and go for a ride, poof the proble is gone, put 600 miles on it since weds, fun to ride now.

Hmmm. You said there was nothing in the tour-pak or saddle bags, but you still had a low speed wobble. Must have been windage?

TQ

dont know , harley will get a letter to explane this to me, as that was all orignail equip. This mech did not even charge me. after all I have spent with harley mech. makes me wonder if they cover for there own. 4 diff shops, 3 in diffrent states

Quite honestly, when I had my touring bike, putting on an empty Tourpack on the rack outback did cause the bike to feel "squirrilly". But once I loaded up the bags and box the handling got "better" go figure. Another time I put my 15 lb bowling ball on the luggage rack...was using it to weight the rear to left the front wheel on the centerstand for cleaning and then afterwards drove the bike for a bit with bowling ball out back and got a deaccel shimmy when I went to morning bowling league. Don't do that either!:newsmile055:

It may have been as TQ says the aerodynamics and light loads (less friction losses) can contribute to odd handling. All I know is, I never used the tourpack (just empty rack) unless ladened for long rides.:small3d029:

Last edited:
Back