free website stats program Low rider shocks | Harley Davidson Forums

Low rider shocks

2006FXDCI

I was thinking of putting a set of low rider shocks(FXDL) on my Super glide(FXDC) and was wondering if I need to put the triple trees from a Low rider on also as they are raked and my glides are not. I didn't know if the rake and trail would be correct with only the shocks. Thanks

I did the same thing. I have put about 20k miles on the bike sence and have had no problems.

Any time you change ride height on one end the other end will change, its all geometry and angles all things equal a bike should be raised or lowered in the same plane to keep the original geometry like lowering a car does that make sense? I align cars and trucks for a living and man some of these that have been lowered wrong is a real challenge to get them right some times I run out of adjustment then the ride and tire wear is compromised, also lowering the back of the bike recheck your belt or chain adjustment JMO

Stock FCDC shocks are 12.6", eye-to-eye. Low Rider shocks are 12". You will be lowering the back a little over half an inch.

Low Rider trees have 1.5 degrees rake built-in. Each degree increase in rake lowers the front end approximately .2", so the front end is about .3" lower on the Low Rider.

Easiest way to make it all even, raise the fork tubes about 1/3" in the triple trees. Support the bike with a jack, loosen the pinch bolts, slowly lower the bike on the jack and allow the tubes to slide up in the trees. Make sure both tubes are raised to the same height. All geometry will be back as it was, just will have a lower bike.

Back