free website stats program Low rider just stops | Harley Davidson Forums

Low rider just stops

fredm1130

Ok back at the best harley self help site in the world,,,, Past couiple of day the LR has just stopped, be riding along and it will start to act as if its out of gas (full tank) and stalls out. I have 900 miles on it this year and 34,000 in its life. sometimes i can keep it going like when riding along but at a light no. I have never had the trouble with this bike, its a 04 efi plugs are good everything it contected good (plug wires and coil wires.) ANY IDEAS !? PLEASE.........

Does it just quit like you turned the key off or will it spit and sputter then die? Are you getting any codes? If it just quits it may be that the shaking at idle is causing a loose connection to disconnect. If your not loosing any power to the speedo or lights it could be power to the injectors or coil. Bare wire touching up against the frame and grounding out. You should get a code though. Food for thought.

As suggested, look at codes. When it stops, will it just re-start easily by just pushing the crank button? If the bike restarts easily, performs fine under steady state cruise speeds and also under wide open throttle, then I would look at the IAC stepper being sticky. What are you currently using for a fuel enrichment system.

Didnt look for codes,,, never thought of that as far, when it does stop it spits and spudders as if i am runnin out of fuel. if in motion i guve a twist of the trottle and it catches and away i go. if at a light it will die in most cases, when it does stop at a light I dont even tough the key just hit the starter button and crank, after 10-15 seconds it will start back up. and dont have a problem from there unless i stop for a long enuf break to cool down for a while. what is the IAC steeper ????

I was thinkin coil,, as i was in that area long story but had to disconnect it and take it off the bike but that was 2 weeks ago and no problems till friday afternoon.

ok I let the bike cool checked the connection to the coil everything is ok. but as i took it for a test ride again i sat at a light and the rpms started to gain and then it quit, ok i think i figured it out, remember that old skool bikes, (only reason i go this route is i dont have my knowledge on the new bikes) when if you turned the fuel off or forgot to turn it back on the bike would raise rpm when runnin out of fuel. well pretty much what is going on here. remember this is a fuel injected bike. if the strainer as the book is callin it, gets clogged the bike starts to raise in rpm and then shuts down, (doesnt have a petcock) so i am thinkin that there is dirt in the tank and cloggin the intake to the fuel line and starves it of fuel. but after 10 - 15 secs there is enuf fuel to get going again but i do need to get it fixed fer sure !

EFI is fairly new to me also, but it sounds as if the IAC is the problem. From what I just read from the link that Bodeen gave, its an easy fix to try. Problem with old school is you forget to look at all the gismos that an efi has, as may have noticed in my last post. Never would thought of the IAC.

This is what I love about this forum. You learn something everytime your on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok talked to a buddy about my problem and he suggested trying some ethenol problem sultion, so i bought lucas brand and went for a ride the bike stalled as norm. i started it up as norm and continued on my way, the next day the bike never stalled, hasnt stalled in 3 days of riding ! ((((( food for thought ))))))

Could it be that it only dies when the fuel tank is partially full and it does not die when it is completely full?

Back