free website stats program Low profile tires? | Harley Davidson Forums

Low profile tires?

mnkanderson

Tire help for newbie! I've got a 1996 softail springer and I'd like to move up to an 18" rim in the rear without doing a fat tire kit. Are there lower profile tire options that give the sidewall look of the wide tire bikes but still maintain fitment on a 3.5" wheel width so I won't have to change pulley or other things?

Thanks for the help!

Tire help for newbie! I've got a 1996 softail springer and I'd like to move up to an 18" rim in the rear without doing a fat tire kit. Are there lower profile tire options that give the sidewall look of the wide tire bikes but still maintain fitment on a 3.5" wheel width so I won't have to change pulley or other things?

Thanks for the help!

Hmmm. That is one of those things you are gonna have to research. Good thing is you do not have more than a half dozen main manufacturers to check out:

AVON
Dunlop
Metzeler
Michelin
Pirelli

And maybe Continental

The important thing is you want the tire diameter to be the same as the original. So you have to bear that in mind when you are choosing rim size and width/aspect ratio. And be very careful you are not sacrificing the load rating.

TQ

One thing to keep in mind less aspect ratio looks cool but they tend to be a lot stiffer and IMO do not corner as good

Back