free website stats program Low oil level | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Low oil level

I have opened the cover where the clutch cable enters and found that the 3 bearing balls are missing and the small cylindrical bearing is tear up.
I will replace them but my concern is the metal shavings that are in my oil right now.
Should I open all the tranny to clean it?
Ramp2.jpg
Ramp4.jpg
Now I think that this problem may appear because the clutch cable is a little bit too long?
I have checked the free play at the clutch lever and it seemed OK.

The following are (bad quality made with IPHONE :( ) pictures from my bike.
IMG_0211.jpg
IMG_0212.jpg
IMG_0213.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Please describe EXACTLY the process you followed to change the cable.

TQ
TQ -- a sorta off the wall question here - when checking the level in the tranny (2001 Heritage) I remove the dipstick and then when putting it back in - it hits the shifter cable inside the transmission. That cable is directly in the way - so which side of the cable does the dipstick go on?

Thanks
Bill

I have opened the cover where the clutch cable enters and found that the 3 bearing balls are missing and the small cylindrical bearing is tear up.
I will replace them but my concern is the metal shavings that are in my oil right now.
Should I open all the tranny to clean it?

Now I think that this problem may appear because the clutch cable is a little bit too long?
I have checked the free play at the clutch lever and it seemed OK.

Sounds like you are going to have to dig in a bit deeper to find and remove the 3 missing bearing, any metal bits, hopefully in the bottom of the case.

Might try using a strong magnet from a skinny magnetic pickup tool, and get lucky...afterwards, use a plastic speeze bottle of gear lube to try to flush it out the bottom. Get an EZ clutch or one that has the balls and actuator, and any other replacement parts that dont pass your visual inspection.

TQ -- a sorta off the wall question here - when checking the level in the tranny (2001 Heritage) I remove the dipstick and then when putting it back in - it hits the shifter cable inside the transmission. That cable is directly in the way - so which side of the cable does the dipstick go on?

Thanks
Bill

Unfortunately I can't go out and eyeball mine to double check, but I think the dipstick goes to the outside of the cable (right when facing front).

TQ

Back