free website stats program Low oil level | Harley Davidson Forums

Low oil level

Andrei

I have changed the clutch cable a few days ago, and during this procedure I have lost some tranny oil. I have replaced some of it :( but not all (I think).
Now after a 250 miles run, the clutch is grinding like (EDIT) and it is very hard to engage any gear. I have stopped immediately and call for a truck to pick me up.

I will go to the dealer but I want to ask you what should I expect? For sure the clutch will be changed but did I make some damage to the gearbox?
Thanks

Language is not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrei, before you assume the worst, is the RK in your garage, and is it in warranty or out of warranty. Based on response, you can do an inspection behind the primary cover/case (you will need hand tools, torx bits, gaskets, tranny gear oil, and a service manual with a bit of patience if you decide to do it yourself.

I have changed the clutch cable a few days ago, and during this procedure I have lost some tranny oil. I have replaced some of it :( but not all (I think).
Now after a 250 miles run, the clutch is grinding like [EDIT] and it is very hard to engage any gear. I have stopped immediately and call for a truck to pick me up.

I will go to the dealer but I want to ask you what should I expect? For sure the clutch will be changed but did I make some damage to the gearbox?
Thanks

Your clutch runs in the primary in a separate fluid bath than the transmission. Your tranny dipstick is on the right side of the tranny where the cable ends. You should check your tranny fluid HOT if possible and probably with the bike upright and level (check your manual).

You check your primary fluid with the bike on the side-stand. It should be to the bottom of your clutch basket.

On the noise you have, do you think you may not have adjusted the clutch correctly after installing the new cable? It would be far more likely that is the problem based on the fact that you have just replaced the cable. See the self-help pages for the procedure:

Easy Clutch Adjustment Method - Harley Davidson Community

Clutch Adjustment Video - Harley Davidson Community

Clutch Adjustment By The Book - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Andrei, before you assume the worst, is the RK in your garage, and is it in warranty or out of warranty. Based on response, you can do an inspection behind the primary cover/case (you will need hand tools, torx bits, gaskets, tranny gear oil, and a service manual with a bit of patience if you decide to do it yourself.

It's out of warranty, in my garage,and tomorrow I will open the clutch basket and see what it's happening.

Your clutch runs in the primary in a separate fluid bath than the transmission. Your tranny dipstick is on the right side of the tranny where the cable ends. You should check your tranny fluid HOT if possible and probably with the bike upright and level (check your manual).

You check your primary fluid with the bike on the side-stand. It should be to the bottom of your clutch basket.

On the noise you have, do you think you may not have adjusted the clutch correctly after installing the new cable? It would be far more likely that is the problem based on the fact that you have just replaced the cable. See the self-help pages for the procedure:

TQ

I have opened the clutch basket in order to install the new cable and lost some oil. the oil that leaked was primary oil right?
When you change the clutch cable, you have to adjust the clutch also not only the cable?

Your clutch needs adjustment with the new cable.

Please do NOT use language on the forum.

REAL Sorry for the language ! :newsmile07::newsmile07::newsmile07:

TQ
The problem is that the grinding noise is coming for the right side of the bike(the side where the clutch cable enters the primary), when it's in neutral, and in any gear with the clutch engaged. The clutch lever is VERY heavy to pull and the neutral is "almost" impossible to find.
I really don't know what to do, to go to the "stealer" or to try to solve the problem myself as I have created it.

Please describe EXACTLY the process you followed to change the cable.

TQ

So:
I have followed the instructions that came with the cable.
I have replaced the cable (adjust the lenght of the cable) and forgot to check the oil level in the tranny after I have finished. Went for a 200 miles drive and now I have the grinding and stuff. :(:(:(

The tranny is grinding because the clutch is not fully releasing. The fact it takes a lot of force to pull in the clutch lever has nothing to do with the transmission.

Something went south with the mechanics of the clutch. Like Glider suggested, recheck the cable and 3 balls.

Back