free website stats program Low Fuel Engine Light | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Low Fuel Engine Light

anyone have any luck with this or call a dealer about it ? i have a 1200n and my light is supposed to come on at .8 gal. i have a 3.3 gallon tank but the most i have put in is about 2 gals.
Mine came on the other day while riding but it was up a hill. It went off and then came back on later down the road. When I put gas in it was filled to the brim off 2gal. So it started to come on at 1.8gal left.

What are you other 1200ers getting per tank?

First, I sure wish my 2006 XL1200C had a fuel indicator! I have to rely on using one of my resettable trip meters. Knowing I have more than 4 gallons in the road tank, and knowing I average 46-48 mpg in town, and 52 on the highway provides plenty of warning for fueling up. Apparently, my riding style is fairly consistent.

My gas like comes on around the 100 mile mark on my nightster. I have heard this to be very common amongst the efi sporties.

Greg

I just bought a 2008 1200C and I am having the same issue.
Not knowing where "empty" is can be a bit stressfull while popping down the highway more than 40 miles from the nearest re-fuel???

The light has come on every time with at least 1-1/2 gallons left in the tank.

It's only a light - I still take a visual before heading out.

You can adjust the float rod in the tank and it will give you a more acurate reading.

This is the settings for the big twin but may still apply to the sporty being it is a rheostat.

Fuel Gauge and Sender Test - Harley Davidson Community

I've read that report, but it doesn't tell you how to adjust the rod. On my old fxrs, I tried bending it one time, but any misstep and the rheostat windings on the rod wouldn't make good contact with the base unit. Do the newer ones still use the old slider contact rheostat?

100 Miles on the Nighster? I get around 60-70 miles before my light comes on. When I do a fill up, I put in about 2.2 gallons.

I do tend to rev it just a little....

Picked up my 08 1200C yesterday. Great bike, but mine did the same thing last night. Dealer showed me that it was pretty close to full when I picked it up. Low fuel light came on at 110 miles in the speedo. Filled it up and it took 3.070 gals. That's better than you guys are talking about, BUT I still have 1 1/2 gals left in the tank. Going back to the dealer on Mon, for some other things (put on a comfy seat and they didn't give me the "old" one & a few other questions). I'll ask this one also. Tracy

I have just over 6,100 miles now on my 2007 Nightster. I bought the bike in April of 2007. For the first few months, I ran it stock and the gas light would come on at around 80-miles just like clockwork. I would fill the tank, and it would take about 2.2 gallons. I could average around 100 miles per tank of fuel.

After a few months, I changed the pipes to Vance & Hines, the intake to the Scream'in Eagle, and had the computer chip performance upgrade done at the dealer. Since then, my fuel light comes on at around 85 miles, and I can get a maximum of 110 miles to a tank.

The mileage isn't much of a difference, but before the upgrades, the bike topped out at between 110-115Mph. Now the bike can bury the odometer needle past the 120Mph mark.

Bottom line, if someone is getting 100 miles before the fuel light, you must be running the 4 gallon tank, because on the XL1200N 3.3 Gallon peanut style tanks, I haven't really seen anyone get past the 90 mile mark without the fuel light coming on. My rule of thumb is that I just reset the odometer at every fuel stop, and when I'm hitting 90-miles, I fill up again.

Hope this helps.

Back