LOVE the Love

Discussion in 'General OFF TOPIC' started by Burgundy9, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Burgundy9

Burgundy9 Member

I was cruising down a country highway today and one of those bright orange D.O.T. Pickup Trucks rounded the upcoming corner coming towards me. The guy driving the truck gave me the ol' headlight warning that their was a cop ahead checking speed.

I thought that it was cool that one gov't vehicle was selling out the other. I'm guessing he may have been a fellow rider.

2. Slo-Ryd

Slo-Ryd Junior Member Contributor

Is that a Southwest thing? Never woulda guessed what you meant if I was headed into a speed trap. Can you clue us yankees what it represents?:D

3. mat 60

mat 60 Senior Member

Ya......Tap on the head.....Is that short for use your head.:)...

4. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

It's illegal in some states to flash your lights or otherwise warn others about a police checkpoint. I think they'd be hard pressed to prove that a warning was given. "No officer, I was trying to adjust my radio volume, and hit my light switch" oops. :newsmile036:

5. Slo-Ryd

Slo-Ryd Junior Member Contributor

It's funny because I've done/used pretty much every one of the other signals other than the head tap......including the hang ten :small3d011:

6. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

"Tap on the head" isn't just a SW thing. At least I've seen it in Georgia and Florida quite often. I have to admit that it tok quite a while and some asking around to figure out what it was, though!

7. oldhippie

oldhippie Senior Member

I've used the "your driving needs improvement" a few times.:newsmile100: Never realized the tap your helmet was for cops ahead. Now I know.:D

Hang ten? Naw, I don't surf.

8. marcus22

marcus22 Junior Member

well it must be a southern thing because I have never herd or seen it. very nice to know though.

9. ProF

ProF Junior Member

Common here in L.A., too.

Had a funny experience once...riding in a pack of about 10, and a cop was approaching us from the other direction. Before the road captain could give the signal, the 2 cops in the car started patting the tops of their heads and grinning at us as they passed by!

10. deucedog

deucedog Active Member

The 'tap the helmet' signal has been around (in NJ) for at least 40 years. It kind of went out of use for a while, but it's still the most common warning.

I've also seen riders move their left hand, palm down, in and up an down motion, meaning 'slow down'.