free website stats program LOVE the Love | Harley Davidson Forums

LOVE the Love

Burgundy9

I was cruising down a country highway today and one of those bright orange D.O.T. Pickup Trucks rounded the upcoming corner coming towards me. The guy driving the truck gave me the ol' headlight warning that their was a cop ahead checking speed.

I thought that it was cool that one gov't vehicle was selling out the other. I'm guessing he may have been a fellow rider.

It's illegal in some states to flash your lights or otherwise warn others about a police checkpoint. I think they'd be hard pressed to prove that a warning was given. "No officer, I was trying to adjust my radio volume, and hit my light switch" oops. :newsmile036:

It's funny because I've done/used pretty much every one of the other signals other than the head tap......including the hang ten :small3d011:

"Tap on the head" isn't just a SW thing. At least I've seen it in Georgia and Florida quite often. I have to admit that it tok quite a while and some asking around to figure out what it was, though!

It's funny because I've done/used pretty much every one of the other signals other than the head tap......including the hang ten :small3d011:

I've used the "your driving needs improvement" a few times.:newsmile100: Never realized the tap your helmet was for cops ahead. Now I know.:D

Hang ten? Naw, I don't surf.

"Tap on the head" isn't just a SW thing. At least I've seen it in Georgia and Florida quite often. I have to admit that it tok quite a while and some asking around to figure out what it was, though!

well it must be a southern thing because I have never herd or seen it. very nice to know though.

Common here in L.A., too.

Had a funny experience once...riding in a pack of about 10, and a cop was approaching us from the other direction. Before the road captain could give the signal, the 2 cops in the car started patting the tops of their heads and grinning at us as they passed by!

The 'tap the helmet' signal has been around (in NJ) for at least 40 years. It kind of went out of use for a while, but it's still the most common warning.

I've also seen riders move their left hand, palm down, in and up an down motion, meaning 'slow down'.

Back