Love Bugs

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by Badgerw, May 2, 2011.

1. Badgerw

Badgerw Member

The Love Bugs are out in force here in Florida. Road last weekend Friday,Saturday and Sunday and had to wash the bike down all three days. They get into every place manageable. They are corrosive and if you do not remove them quickly they will pit your paint. Not to mention they really stink and taste horrible. Thank goodness for Pledge.
    [​IMG]

2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Do you ride with the windshield on???? Amazing how a bug can corrode and pit the paint.

3. Badgerw

Badgerw Member

Oh yes, I ride with a windshield. The Love Bugs come out twice a year. They mate and fly around connected. They swarm around the roads and you can have hundreds of them on your cage let alone a bike.
    [​IMG]

4. mat 60

mat 60 Senior Member

In Mane the black flys ,thay are small and thay bite ya....What is a love bug,?

5. col_kurtz

col_kurtz New Member

Actually Love Bugs are asexual and one is giving birth while the other one is dying. They come out in May and September. Been dealing with these little pests since the early 70's. They seem to go down as far at Vero Beach. We don't have them in South Florida. Nasty metallic smelling!!!!! PAM also works well as a way of keeping them from sticking.

6. mat 60

mat 60 Senior Member

I gess its something like our june bugs.....

7. horizonchaser

horizonchaser Senior Member Contributor

Ouch!! Them buggers with their hard shells smack hard!!

8. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

Love bugs are not hard and they don't bite. The problem is that nothing will eat them, except Bikers.

9. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

And I aint that hungry:p

10. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Tastes like chicken!

Bodeen