free website stats program loud pipes | Harley Davidson Forums

loud pipes

lowrider1963

Well, I had my new V&H pipes put on last week and at first they sounded great. But now, I think they may be a bit too loud as after a ride, I can not hear out of my right ear as well as my left (like I was on an airplane and they need to pop). Has this ever happened to anyone else? I would hate to have to spend money on another set of pipes, but these may be at just the right Db and freq. that they bother my inner ears.

If you can notice it after only a short ride then it must be really bad. Things like this can damage your hearing quickly. Until you decide if and how you are going to handle this, I would suggest ear plugs.

See if V&H offers quiet baffles for these pipes. You might need to change your air/fuel mix after installing any baffles.

I have the Big Radius pipes, and I agree they are a little loud for me. They don't hurt my ears though. I thought I had sensitive ears from playing too much of that loud rock n roll music, but maybe not. My pipes have what I think are baffels in them.

I have Vance&Hines Short Shots on mine and it is loud,but I really like the way it sounds.If I'm going over 100 miles or so I sometimes wear ear plugs.

The Vances&Hines on mine were loud. I didn't mind while riding around town. I do believe loud pipes saves lives. But out on the road, after an hour or two I thought I was going to go deaf. Had some custom baffles made. Made a big difference. Cost me 100.00 but saved my hearing. I think the Quiet baffles would be a good way to go. Hobbit is correct 2-3 db it's more reduction in sound than most people realize. Your hearing is important, please do take care of it.

Well, I had my new V&H pipes put on last week and at first they sounded great. But now, I think they may be a bit too loud as after a ride, I can not hear out of my right ear as well as my left (like I was on an airplane and they need to pop). Has this ever happened to anyone else? I would hate to have to spend money on another set of pipes, but these may be at just the right Db and freq. that they bother my inner ears.

If you decide you like the sound of the bike and want to keep that you can try ear plugs. I have found this particular set of ear plugs to be the most comfortable. You can read up on them, I havent ridden a bike with them but flying in a helicopter with the doors open at low altitude and high speed they block out a lot of the noise. I am very impressed with them.

EarPro EP-3 Sonic Defenders Earplugs - EP3 from SureFire

my fxstc has khrome werks slipons with bafels its louder than standered but only roars when i give it a hand full.i like the way it sounds under all conditions if i needed ear plugs
to ride wouild i not be missing the point.????

Absolutely right on 2 - 3 Db being more than most folks realize. If anyone out there is into fire arms you can equate this to the fact that most decent hearing protection provides a 3 Db decrease in volme to the wearer. That 3 Db decrease on a firing range is the difference between going completely deaf or not after an hour or so of shooting! So if tghey tell you the baffels will decrease your volume 2 Db you probably will be happy with the results.

I picked up a set of 2 into 1 Patriot Defenders several months ago for $400. The performance is good and they have a Butterfly baffle in them that is cable activated. I can change the DB level from pretty loud to stock while I am riding. I mounted the cable lever behind the rear shock air cover so I could reach it. The only problem I have had with them is the 02 sensor plugs blew out as they weren't torqued tight from the factory. I just picked up a replacement pair at Napa and ordered a cheap back up pair just in case it happens again. It may not be the look and sound you are looking for but I am happy so far - Bob

Patriot Defender exhaust - Harley Davidson Community

Back