free website stats program Loud pipes with audio system? | Harley Davidson Forums

Loud pipes with audio system?

lwilliams

I just traded my '07 Heritage for a new Ultra Classic. I am really loving having radio/cd while riding.

I had V/h Big Shots on my Heritage and loved the sound.....thinking of doing something with the new bike.

So I am wondering what the general consensus is on having loud pipes on a bike with audio. Does it work out well without headsets.....or not.

Seeking opinions.......and greatly appreciated.

Try riding with out replacing the mufflers for a while and see what you think.
You may find riding the Ultra with loud exhaust might be tiring.

Try riding with out replacing the mufflers for a while and see what you think.
You may find riding the Ultra with loud exhaust might be tiring.

+1. I am riding my 08 EGC completely stock. I had nice sounding SEIIs on her for awhile, really like the sound. However, not only did they give me and my wife a headache on long trips, they made it difficult to hear the radio as well.

I was actually looking at installing after market speakers when I realized the problem was my exhaust. Installed the stock mufflers and haven't looked back.

There are many pipes/mufflers combinations out there, I'm sure you can find something you like if your willing to spend the money. However, I have noticed my stock pipes sound better with age. Even stock she sounds better and louder than my brothers 08 Goldwing.

I'd leave her stock.

Mavagrand,
I could not agree with you more. I was averaging 100-200 mile days and would come home tired and have a headache. I reinstalled the stock mufflers on and guess what? No headaches refreshed from ride and started averaging 250-400 mile day rides and even accomplished a 500 mile day with riding a 150 miles the day before. It like I do not want to stop riding. Boy do I enjoy my bike now!!!! Soooooo buying a Ultra or a Classic you want to ride as far as possible and in the most comfort to receive the maximum enjoyment per mile. Just my opinion.

I thnk you guys are making a great point. In the three years I had my Heritage, I put 5800 miles on it. In just one week on the Ultra, I already have over 500 miles. It really is enjoyable. Maybe I should just leave the pipes alone.

Good idea. Congratulation on the new ride. May you have many enjoyable miles and make lots of memories in your travels.

I just traded my '07 Heritage for a new Ultra Classic. I am really loving having radio/cd while riding.

I had V/h Big Shots on my Heritage and loved the sound.....thinking of doing something with the new bike.

So I am wondering what the general consensus is on having loud pipes on a bike with audio. Does it work out well without headsets.....or not.

Seeking opinions.......and greatly appreciated.

I've got a 07 UC with V&H slash-cut tapered slips and the wife and I have no problem hearing the stock radio/CD player/stock speakers without headsets ( don't even own any! ) We have been to S.D., Neb., Ks., Ia.,Ill.,Ark,,,,, No problems what so ever. Matter of fact - I sometimes turn the audio off while out cruzzin' so I can hear that " potatoe-potatoe-potatoe" !!!!!!!!!! :D JMO.

I recently put the SE Street Performance Slip On Mufflers on my '08 FLHX and they're perfect for me. Nice low rumble at idle, bit of a growl accelerating, then they settle back into the constant rumble at cruise. No problem hearing the J&M speakers. Rode 300 miles the other day and no headaches at all like others are describing.

i like my stock mufflers too ,for the radio....but would like mufflers loud enough to drown out the valve clatter lol

i like my stock mufflers too ,for the radio....but would like mufflers loud enough to drown out the valve clatter lol

Try this for valve train noise. Worked for me on my 2008.
Automatic Chain Tensioner Adjustment
Published by glider (Community Liaison)
Published date: May 20th, 2008

Here's a trick to reduce the constant engine noise that sounds like valve train noises on the newer 96 Cu In. bikes that have the auto adjusting primary chain tensioners and no inspection port.
I tried this on my RKC and can notice a definite improvement. The problem seems to be coming from the primary chain and not really the valve train at all.

Here's what you do. Accelerate from a stop in first gear rather hard to about 30 MPH and then brake rather hard using only the rear brake without locking up the wheel and don't pull in the clutch until the bike slows enough.
Do this 2-3 times in succession and you'll notice that the noise that you thought was the valve train is almost completely gone now. Low speed riding is a bit smoother also due to less play in the chain.

By doing this, the automatic primary chain will ratchet up a bit tighter if it was loose before this. The acceleration and braking causes slack in the lower strand of the chain and will ratchet it up tighter if it needed an adjustment.

If it wasn't loose there will be no noted difference.
That is most likely the noise that was heard and not the valve train at all.

Sounds strange but try it!

Back