free website stats program "Loud" Pipes in UK | Harley Davidson Forums

"Loud" Pipes in UK

cedarbrook63

Any UK riders had any problems from the constabulary with their pipes? Hobbit was telling me recently that many of the nice twisty roads in south Wales (which are not far from us) are no-go or risky if you have aftermarket pipes.
I have SEII pipes which you can tell are coming but they're a long way from obnoxious IMO.

I'd be interested in any decibel tales from our side of the water:eam.

I have V&H slip-ons, I live a couple of hundred yards from a police station at a T junction and, touch wood I have had no hassle so far. Clearly, I dont rev like a loony at that junction, specially when groups of cops are entering or leaving the station as I go pass which happens fairly often.
I have however added the quite baffles which sounds a little quieter and less raspy, a little lower in pitch, a better sound IMHO.
Isn't South Wales the territory of the "mad Mullah" of the speed camera? It would explain the heavy handed attitude to pipes.

I have V&H slip-ons, I live a couple of hundred yards from a police station at a T junction and, touch wood I have had no hassle so far. Clearly, I dont rev like a loony at that junction, specially when groups of cops are entering or leaving the station as I go pass which happens fairly often.
I have however added the quite baffles which sounds a little quieter and less raspy, a little lower in pitch, a better sound IMHO.
Isn't South Wales the territory of the "mad Mullah" of the speed camera? It would explain the heavy handed attitude to pipes.

You got'im Romain. Richard Brunstrom, Chief Constable for North Wales and scourge of any user of pipes - Vance & Hines, Organ, Tobacco or Plumbers :D
I saw an article from 6th May saying he was going to retire soon and was planning on buying a boat and go sailing. The jet ski and power boat boys are quaking in anticipation....

I ride by a cop-shop regularly as well and have never had anything more than the occasional wave from some Fed who obviously likes bikes. But I don't deliberately gun it or anything daft near them.

Ride safe and have a good weekend.

dont do anything daft.. good advice :)

In Spain, the police seem to take more interest in little chopped scooters that
make enough noise to wake the dead; loud high pitch screaming.. ugh.

But, they can stop anyone, and if they are in the mood to give you a ticket,
pipes are an easy way to go.
having just moved to Italy, not sure yet what the deal is here;
seen a couple of cops looking at me, but none stopped me yet.

My main 2 bikes have stock exhaust with drilled out baffle plates if you don't twist hard on the throttle then the noise ain't too bad but once out of town
and the right hand gets itchy then you get a nice boom boom
never been stopped but then my bikes are older and only have to pass the regulations from year of manufacture

Brian

bertie bunstorm what an idiot - anything stronger gets me banned :D
i have only ever felt the finger of fuzz when i had Samson ripsaws these 2.5" behmoth down turned cannons could be heard over 3miles away in cruise mode open it up and you had world war 3 on your hands these things were deafening even with ear plugs and a full face lid and regularly got me in to trouble - never again

Hobbit!! Those 2into1 babies you got on the Bob must seem as tame as a lamb after the Samsons. :lolrolling:lolrolling I'm just imagining the look on your face gunning those. No wonder you gave me those SEIIs - you couldn't hear them :D:D

I have screamin eagle slip ons (no baffle I can see) which are very loud...a bit of a problem down Hampshire country lanes where I live, and where there may be horses.

However the stock pipes are sooo quiet.

Can anyone recommend a pipe available in UK which sounds good but won't stampede the locals? (My 'glide has had a stage 1)

thanks

simon

dont do anything daft.. good advice :)
having just moved to Italy, not sure yet what the deal is here;
seen a couple of cops looking at me, but none stopped me yet.

Almost all of the Harleys have loud pipes here.
I've been told that impounding those Hd's is pretty rare so far: most of cops/carabinieri think THAT sound is the standard HD sound! :s

Anyway, I don't want to risk, thus... stock pipes! :31:

Ciao
Ugo

i have only ever felt the finger of fuzz when i had Samson ripsaws these 2.5" behmoth down turned cannons could be heard over 3miles away in cruise mode open it up and you had world war 3 on your hands these things were deafening even with ear plugs and a full face lid and regularly got me in to trouble - never again

:newsmile100::newsmile100::newsmile100:

... Behmoth... :lol

Last edited by a moderator:
probly a bit late on this one,just picked up on the post...but,SE pipes have been exempted from the noise level laws here,because they are actually a HD official part.Besides that,the cops and most everybody figger a Harley is supposed to sound loud,inclueding all us HD riders.

Although till recently have had no problems my nearest mot tester wont look at a Harley unless its fitted with unmodified stock pipes
as he got done a couple of months ago by the inspectors when he passed a Harley with loud pipes inspector was waiting round the corner to catch him out
so have to have stock pipes for mot

Brian

Back