free website stats program Loud pinging sound | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Loud pinging sound

Filled up tonight with new gas, and took a quick ride, when I come on to her under load their still is a slight ping once in a while, but not as loud or as much as before, so I am thinking I got a dose of bad gas (low octang) Thanks again for the Imfo.

You realling need to replace the pipes and air cleaner and add a Power Commander or FuelPak. You will never hear a ping again

You realling need to replace the pipes and air cleaner and add a Power Commander or FuelPak. You will never hear a ping again

While I agree with the replacement of said items,I have to disagree with "You will never hear a ping again" part! With all due respect to your opinon and belief. One bad tank of fuel will put that ping back in - JMO!

If not tuned properly it will ping with stage 1 and if you are running below 2500 rpms in 6th I don't care what you have done to the bike it will ping high octane gas or not.

i goofed at the pump last week dad and i were talking as i was filling my bike up......went to put the hose back up and realized i had filled it up with 87....beleave it or not the bike ran fine i was worried to death about it though

I was recently on the east coast where sometimes premium gas wasn't available. I was offered an octane boost by the gas jockey at one station. He said some folks in the area never put premium gas in. They carry this "boost" around with them. Just thought I would mention that as I have never heard of this practice before.

i live on the east coast .......this guy must be working on commission for selling octane booster lol everybody i know (myself included) uses 91 or better

I always use the 91 as well. I'm talking about the east coast of Canada. I was on the Cape Breton Trail where the the rule of "when in doubt- gas" applies. The station only carried regular gas and diesel. I don't think he is going to retire early on the .50 cent shooter for my gas tank lol

I always use the 91 as well. I'm talking about the east coast of Canada. I was on the Cape Breton Trail where the the rule of "when in doubt- gas" applies. The station only carried regular gas and diesel. I don't think he is going to retire early on the .50 cent shooter for my gas tank lol

lol i gotcha :p

A week later and two tanks of 91 and I am still getting a ping in my engine, It still works good, but I'm still concerned because I never heard it before this, the dealer said to bring it in and they will check the codes, but will that tell them anything about the pinging? should I try some octang boost? I plan on changing the air box and pipes and getting a TFI unit this winter, but should I do it now?

Back