free website stats program Loud Exhaust and Oil Changes | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Loud Exhaust and Oil Changes

If your mufflers have removable baffles, you can repack them with fiberglass cloth. Ebay and cycle supply places have kits, but I just buy fiberglass cloth (not the stringy mat) at the auto parts store (cheaper). Wrap the cloth, not real tight around baffles and secure with masking tape (that's how new baffles come).
For oil changes, I use the box the filter came in as a oil diverter. Just remove flaps and it collapses to a "V". If you have trouble getting your filter off, don't put the next one on more than 3/4 turn after gasket contacts.

Hi All,

Thanks for the tips on oil changes. Looks like it will be messy. After I posted this yesterday I pulled one of the baffles out of the pipe. Wrapping with packing won't be an option. The baffle is like a Cherry Bomb muffler. It is straight through with a solid shell on the outside. I don't think slip on mufflers are an option since the is two piece ... the actual pipe with a one piece chrome shield covering the entire length. I will keep exploring my options.

Steve

Hi All,

Thanks for the tips on oil changes. Looks like it will be messy. After I posted this yesterday I pulled one of the baffles out of the pipe. Wrapping with packing won't be an option. The baffle is like a Cherry Bomb muffler. It is straight through with a solid shell on the outside. I don't think slip on mufflers are an option since the is two piece ... the actual pipe with a one piece chrome shield covering the entire length. I will keep exploring my options.

Steve
Could you post a pic or two of your exhaust system?
That may help members identify it for you, because it sounds quite different than most of the mainstream aftermarket suppliers.

Hi All,

Here are a few pictures of the exhaust system and one of the baffles. I can't find any identification marking on who made the system or what model it might be.

DSC03102.JPG DSC03102.JPG DSC03102.JPG DSC03103.JPG DSC03106.JPG DSC03107.JPG

Steve; Are those all one piece from the head to the end? No heat shields, or one loong heat shield ? Nice looking exhaust for sure. I just spent some time searching, and can't match them. There are many, many baffles that will fit. The important measurement is the o.d. of the end flange where it bolts in. If you go on Ebay and search "harley touring baffles" you will get a lot of results. I can offer my opinion on what baffles might work well to quiet it down without suffocating it. No guarantees tho.
Have you tried looking at the tire side of the exhaust with a mirror for any identification?

I drill a couple of holes in the end of the filter and let the oil run out of it 1/4" drill is fine one hole at the lowest point to let oil out one hole at the highest to let air in.Brian

That is the way I used to do it before I relocated the oil filter. Don't know why the photos from Steve's post #16 are showing up in my post? Jack, what's up with that?

Attachments

• 20141025_125022_resized.jpg
    20141025_125022_resized.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20141025_132415_resized.jpg
    20141025_132415_resized.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Hi All,

The pipes are two piece ... the actual pipe and a one piece, full length heat shield. I will pull a baffle and measure it and see what I can find.

Pete/Breeze.380 ... I welcome any recommendations you can make. I will try looking for identification on the inside pipe.

Thanks,

Steve

That's actually a pretty nice looking exhaust system. It would be a shame to have to replace it unless you want a different look entirely.
The muffler cans look like they may be 3-1/2" diameter. If so Rinehart have several different baffle options for their line of 3-1/2" mufflers.
It wouldn't likely take much effort to adapt RH baffles to yours. RH baffles are longer and extend farther into the cans, which will make it quieter. Several different inner tube sizes (the serrated section) are available, depending on the balance of sound vs restriction that you want.

Back