free website stats program Loud Exhaust and Oil Changes | Harley Davidson Forums

Loud Exhaust and Oil Changes

Hi,

I just bought a 2005 Ultra Classic. I have a couple of questions the smart people on here may be able to answer.

I plan on doing my own oil changes. The filter is mounted in front of the engine and is horizontal. I am wondering how much oil spills out when it is removed. I don't want to get oil all over the frame and electrical regulator mounted under it. If it tends to make a mess I can put some aluminum foil under it to help direct the oil into a container. Also, do you use a regular oil filter wrench to get it off or should I buy the 'special' wrench called for in the HD owners manual. Coming from Harley I'm sure it has a special price as well.

My other question concerns the exhaust. The PO put on an aftermarket exhaust and it is LOUD. I looked up inside the pipes and they have perforated metal baffles. I don't know who made the exhaust but it is a true dual exhaust system ... no crossover pipe. Any ideas on how to quiet it down a bit. I don't mind some exhaust note but not so loud that I can't hear the radio. How about removing the baffles and wrapping them with some type of fiberglass packing. If it helps I could post a picture of the pipes.

Thanks for your input and I am sure I will have more questions.

Steve

upload_2016-3-11_15-30-42.jpeg This is the type I use, it will adjust and clamp to the filter. Any parts store should have it in stock.
Changing oil can be a challenge and you'll most likely get some oil mess. After an oil change I use a aerosol spray called gun scrubber (used for cleaning my guns) I spray the work area and wipe up any excess that does not evaporate. It cleans it like brand new.

You can remove the baffles and rewrap them with baffle wrap, you can find it on the internet. I've seen videos on Youtube that give you a step by step instructions on how to do it.
Another option is purchasing a set of slip ons with the sound you like. You can listen to Youtube videos of different sounding exhaust.

Last edited:
Can't help with the exhaust.

Oil change, (hot oil) I drain the oil pan first with the filler plug out. Then give time for the draining. (Good time to walk-around while checking the bike,)
If you're fast, the filter can be quickly removed. I use the Harley tool ($10) as it grips the base of the filter. Various cleaners can remove the excess oil.
Messy job but it can be done. Especially after a number of changes.

Oil changes on Harleys are always a mess; no way around it.
To minimize the filter mess I use a 2 quart/2 liter plastic pop bottle with the bottom and one side cut away; leaving about 180 degrees of the full circle.
First I loosen the filter with a filter wrench, then slip the pop bottle fully underneath the filter, then unscrew the filter quickly by hand and drop it into the pop bottle. If the bike is on the jiffy stand the angle keeps most of the oil in the pop bottle.
Some oil will run out of the filter mount once the filter is unscrewed, so be ready to quickly get to it with a shop rag.
DONT tighten the new filter more than 3/4 turn after the gasket seats, and use a film of oil spread on the face of the gasket.
Just my thoughts.

Don't forget your primary and transmission as well. I usually do the engine and primary at the same time every 5000 miles or so, and the transmission every other oil change. Use the oil brand of your choice but I think most will recommend synthetic.
Check the self help section for lots of good ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a lot of oil but some. I use simply green to clean up the mess. Do not use any chemical base type cleaner that can adversely effect the rubber in the engine mount.
Are there any screws at the end of mufflers? If so then repacking the baffles would be a good place to start.
Otherwise with baffles out, measure the opening of the baffle to figure size, then start looking at the web to find smaller or quieter baffles other wise replacement mufflers may be in order.
Rod has made a good point. The savings of oil changes yourself you will only need a couple more quarts of oil to change primary and trans at same time.

I drill a couple of holes in the end of the filter and let the oil run out of it 1/4" drill is fine one hole at the lowest point to let oil out one hole at the highest to let air in

Brian

I drill a couple of holes in the end of the filter and let the oil run out of it 1/4" drill is fine one hole at the lowest point to let oil out one hole at the highest to let air in

Brian
Brian that is just slick! Thanks.

I just unscrew the filter as anybody would. Catch it in an oil pan clean it up and keep an eye on the motor mount. You can obsess or not, I chose not too. Thats just me.

Hi,

I just bought a 2005 Ultra Classic. I have a couple of questions the smart people on here may be able to answer.

I plan on doing my own oil changes. The filter is mounted in front of the engine and is horizontal. I am wondering how much oil spills out when it is removed. I don't want to get oil all over the frame and electrical regulator mounted under it. If it tends to make a mess I can put some aluminum foil under it to help direct the oil into a container. Also, do you use a regular oil filter wrench to get it off or should I buy the 'special' wrench called for in the HD owners manual. Coming from Harley I'm sure it has a special price as well.

My other question concerns the exhaust. The PO put on an aftermarket exhaust and it is LOUD. I looked up inside the pipes and they have perforated metal baffles. I don't know who made the exhaust but it is a true dual exhaust system ... no crossover pipe. Any ideas on how to quiet it down a bit. I don't mind some exhaust note but not so loud that I can't hear the radio. How about removing the baffles and wrapping them with some type of fiberglass packing. If it helps I could post a picture of the pipes.

Thanks for your input and I am sure I will have more questions.

Steve
I use the H-D filter removal "socket" with the 'cut-out' in it to clear the Crank sensor. It works well and costs lots. I tried those expanding "U" type filter removal tools and found the arms would bend under "very hard to remove" filters.
But mine is a Softail and I don't know if your bike and/or your year has anything mounted near the filter.
I have tried the cut down soft drink bottle ; the homemade aluminium foil funnel, AND I also bought some bright orange plastic filler and drainer kit from the 'US of A' that promised to keep any oil change mess free. From my experience it doesn't matter WHAT you use; you'll still spill oil on your bike! To paraphrase some tired old Harley cliche; "They ALL do that!"
Just clean up well.

Also, don't forget to fill up your new oil filter with oil before you screw it on. It won't leak and you'll have oil pressure and oil delivery sooner. And as mentioned, lube the big "o" ring on the filter and DON'T tighten it down until it screams.
Regards.

A quick tip that I use when removing the oil filter is to take a piece of thin cardboard and cut it to fit under the filter. Leave it long enough to extend past the frame. With it long enough, the oil will flow into your drain pan. Loosen the filter and let it drain. Once the oil has stopped flowing, unscrew the filter and remove it. Use a clean rag to wipe the remaining oil from the mounting surface, remove the cardboard, then fill and install your new filter.

Jeff, great tip on using gun scrubber. You can use non-chlorinated brake cleaner to do the same thing. That's what gun scrubber is. One thing, don't use it on Russian Saiga shotguns produced prior to 2000, it will remove some of the blueing. On Harleys, I would test it on an area you can't see, just in case.

Last edited:
Back