free website stats program Loud "Clunk" when I fire up my Lowrider | Harley Davidson Forums

Loud "Clunk" when I fire up my Lowrider

JPHarley

I am hoping this is the normal sound when you crank up the 96. Sounds like it's coming from the left side. It makes a clunk sound when it fires up. It must be normal cause I just bought the bike a week ago and one of the mechanics started up the bike and drove it into the truck I was hauling it home with. Didn't have that sound with the 08 Sportster 883.
JP

I am hoping this is the normal sound when you crank up the 96. Sounds like it's coming from the left side. It makes a clunk sound when it fires up. It must be normal cause I just bought the bike a week ago and one of the mechanics started up the bike and drove it into the truck I was hauling it home with. Didn't have that sound with the 08 Sportster 883.
JP

I going to take a wild guess... Possibly a loose baffle in the exhuast ???

If you mean the sound like someone hitting the engine case with a hammer when you thumb the starter button, it's the compensator sprocket.

It's the "new" design and they pretty much all do it. It's caused by a weak wave washer setup that was used instead of a spring like in the older ones. Many have complained about it including myself and the dealers do nothing about it because the MOCO will not reimburse them for anything to do with it.

If you mean the sound like someone hitting the engine case with a hammer when you thumb the starter button, it's the compensator sprocket.

It's the "new" design and they pretty much all do it. It's caused by a weak wave washer setup that was used instead of a spring like in the older ones. Many have complained about it including myself and the dealers do nothing about it because the MOCO will not reimburse them for anything to do with it.

I dont have this problem, but would find this very anoying. Can this be fixed by using the spring like washer in the older ones?

Thanks guys for the responses. I guess I won't worry about it then. Sometimes it's louder than other times...but if it's "normal" I will just get used to it.
Thanks.
JP

The MoCo actually put out a Service Bulletin (Tech Tip?) about this. Yes, it's from the new primary design and considered to be "normal".

Glider is right JP..My RK does the same thing ...you will also hear the compensator clunk if to lug the motor too low.

I believe there is some kind of compression release install for this, to reduce wear and the noise at start up. This makes it eaiser on the starter and battery which helps increase life on those components.

Back