Lost Key..

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by BxHorse, Aug 18, 2011.

1. BxHorse

BxHorse New Member

Just bought a 2009 heritage softail classic needs a little work got a sweet deal only had one key and now i lost that key.....is there anyway to get a duplicate from Harley since i am not the original owner

thanks
    BxHorse

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Welcome to The forum, That is a good Question. I dont know if there are numbers on the barrel of the lock, if not a lock smith I would think could do the job tho it may be expensive

3. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

If you have the VIN#, you may be able to find the original H-D Dealer who introduced your model. In my case the local H-D dealer did the PDI for the original owner and had all the pertinent info including the key ID and duplicated it on a Willie G. blank :D

[​IMG]

4. JBC2565

JBC2565 Junior Member

Maybe contact original owner and see if he /she has key "stamp" tag??? I have the original key tag in my files that has "XXXXHD" which is the lock # and key attaches to middle of this tag. Snap it off and you have your key.

5. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Dealer can do a VIN search and if service advisor has proper authorization he can retrieve key number from VIN search..

6. Billbo

Billbo Junior Member

I cant offer up any help on the lost key, but I would like to say that when I bought my bike - used - the dealer handed me about 10 keys on HD Key fobs and key chains -- there was a hand full - must be at least 10 barrel keys. Now, what's up with all that? I have tried 3-4 of them and they all work - haven't tried them all. Is that good or bad?

Bill

7. sharpscuba

sharpscuba Banned

DBMG has you covered here. I lost mine and this is all the dealer had to do. The cost was $22.00 bucks.

8. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Once you get your replacement (and as a general note to everyone), take your key to any key shop that does barrel keys and have a couple of copies made so you can stash them somewhere. They are cheap (under two bucks each).

TQ

9. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Just curious here, but wouldn't it take more than requesting VIN search to duplicate..?? What would stop a "would be" criminal from making copy to steal any bike they see in a parking lot? I thought it took more...like sales record/ownership proof?

Maybe I'm off, but I wouldn't think it's legit to have HD making/handing keys to any Joe walking in w/VIN...true/false...??

10. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Your are correct Iceman. Proper protocol is to be followed before info is released. Thats how I always handles it in the bike and car worlds. And like I said at the dealer I worked at I had to earn the clearance to get into that part of the programming to get key number...