free website stats program Lost Key.. | Harley Davidson Forums

Lost Key..

BxHorse

Just bought a 2009 heritage softail classic needs a little work got a sweet deal only had one key and now i lost that key.....is there anyway to get a duplicate from Harley since i am not the original owner

thanks
BxHorse

Just bought a 2009 heritage softail classic needs a little work got a sweet deal only had one key and now i lost that key.....is there anyway to get a duplicate from Harley since i am not the original owner

thanks
BxHorse

Welcome to The forum, That is a good Question. I dont know if there are numbers on the barrel of the lock, if not a lock smith I would think could do the job tho it may be expensive

If you have the VIN#, you may be able to find the original H-D Dealer who introduced your model. In my case the local H-D dealer did the PDI for the original owner and had all the pertinent info including the key ID and duplicated it on a Willie G. blank :D

WillieGKey.jpg

Maybe contact original owner and see if he /she has key "stamp" tag??? I have the original key tag in my files that has "XXXXHD" which is the lock # and key attaches to middle of this tag. Snap it off and you have your key.

Dealer can do a VIN search and if service advisor has proper authorization he can retrieve key number from VIN search..

I cant offer up any help on the lost key, but I would like to say that when I bought my bike - used - the dealer handed me about 10 keys on HD Key fobs and key chains -- there was a hand full - must be at least 10 barrel keys. Now, what's up with all that? I have tried 3-4 of them and they all work - haven't tried them all. Is that good or bad?

Bill

Once you get your replacement (and as a general note to everyone), take your key to any key shop that does barrel keys and have a couple of copies made so you can stash them somewhere. They are cheap (under two bucks each).

TQ

Just curious here, but wouldn't it take more than requesting VIN search to duplicate..?? What would stop a "would be" criminal from making copy to steal any bike they see in a parking lot? I thought it took more...like sales record/ownership proof?

Maybe I'm off, but I wouldn't think it's legit to have HD making/handing keys to any Joe walking in w/VIN...true/false...??

Just curious here, but wouldn't it take more than requesting VIN search to duplicate..?? What would stop a "would be" criminal from making copy to steal any bike they see in a parking lot? I thought it took more...like sales record/ownership proof?

Maybe I'm off, but I wouldn't think it's legit to have HD making/handing keys to any Joe walking in w/VIN...true/false...??

Your are correct Iceman. Proper protocol is to be followed before info is released. Thats how I always handles it in the bike and car worlds. And like I said at the dealer I worked at I had to earn the clearance to get into that part of the programming to get key number...

Back