free website stats program Lost all power at 65mph | Harley Davidson Forums

Lost all power at 65mph

I have an 01 Ultra with 67K miles. Tonight I was riding down the highway at 65mph enjoying the ride listening to the radio when all of a sudden I lost all power. Engine died all dash lights, radio, everything for about 10 seconds then I regained all power and everything started working again. Any ideas on what might be going on? Thanks in advance.

In the battery compartment the hot lead from the battery goes to a 40 amp resistor. Check the nuts on both connections if they are at all loose your bike will do exactly what you describe. If that doesn't work, try replacing it. NAPA will sell you one with the correct post pattern for a fraction of what harley gets for them.

+1 on those self resetting circuit breakers. I would ditch it for a Maxi Fuse like they use on later model bikes. Parent company is Cooper Bussmann but you should find them sold under the Belden name at Napa.

Who really wants a short to reset?:)

+1 on those self resetting circuit breakers. I would ditch it for a Maxi Fuse like they use on later model bikes. Parent company is Cooper Bussmann but you should find them sold under the Belden name at Napa.

Who really wants a short to reset?:)

#1 on Belden Hoop, they have made great products for years, I still own a Belden wire stripper have had it for probably 40 years:s

Was 2001 one of the years that had the bad ignition switches that would intermittently loose power?

I have an 01 Ultra with 67K miles. Tonight I was riding down the highway at 65mph enjoying the ride listening to the radio when all of a sudden I lost all power. Engine died all dash lights, radio, everything for about 10 seconds then I regained all power and everything started working again. Any ideas on what might be going on? Thanks in advance.

It sounds like the main breaker that TripleJ posted the link to.

I replaced the 40 amp main circuit breaker lastnight and rode to work today. No problems on the way there but coming home It did it again. Everything goes dead for 30 seconds or so then all power comes back on? Any other ideas?

I replaced the 40 amp main circuit breaker lastnight and rode to work today. No problems on the way there but coming home It did it again. Everything goes dead for 30 seconds or so then all power comes back on? Any other ideas?

Potentially a high resistance connection that is heat related due to electrical load. When the circuit is broken, the connection cools slightly and you are running again. Try cleaning all of the connections and reconnecting using a little dielectric grease to see if that resolves the problem.

Back