free website stats program losing voltage .10 V per 10 seconds | Harley Davidson Forums

losing voltage .10 V per 10 seconds

garystrat

Banned
I run all the tests my little multimeter will do...No ammeter so the milliamp draw test I am unable...but I can hold the meter on the Battery and watch the voltage drop, I disconnected the TSSM, then the neg cable. The battery charges (Tender) to 13.4 and will drop to 10.26 when starter is engaged. my alt puts out 14.28 v and 42.25 amps at 2500 rpm...I looked at the selfhelp milliamp thread and am unclear just where to attach leads (when I get an ammeter...Is there a Mr Wizzard on this forum who can point me in a direction...?
2001 FXD w/security

Each cell in the battery is approximately 2.1 V or 12.6VDC. If your battery drops to 10VDC (which is marginal) and does not recover back to 12.6VDC rather quickly, you probably have a "soft" battery (only has surface charge) AND a bad cell.

Check all the thick (primary) wiring and connections for high heat...this indicates a bad connection which can also be soaking excess power from the battery as well. Good luck and keep us posted...!

Hoople
I am losing .01 V per 10 seconds with battery in the bike, out it is not...I left in under the cover for about 1 week I went Monday to run to town but had a dead battery, I charged it tested it and found the voltage loss. I have a TSSM. I removed the TSSM and checked for the loss...still losing .01per every 10 seconds, I ran the alt tests no continuity between stator and ground, I started it and got 43.5 amps, reconnected everything with the battery charged to 13.4 volts I engaged the starter saw a voltage drop to 10.2 V...the stator is charging 14.28 @ 2500 rpm I can start it ride it but if I wait too long I'll need a jump.(which I do not like to do)...the dyna is carbed

losing .01 V per 10 seconds
still losing .01per every 10 seconds,

I take it you mean .1 volt and not really .01....
It could be the battery as NewHD74 talked about but if you want to perform some rough tests do the following......
Your bike should have only 5 fuses.
IGN, Instrument,,Lights,,ACCY,,Security.
Remove just the "Security" fuse. Do you still having the falling voltage. If YES, remove all 5 fuses. Do you now still have the falling voltage?

No...I meant .01V...I was mistaken when I titled the post...with the battery on the bench fully charged to 13.4V 1 hour 40 minutes later it dropped to 12.81V...I recon I need a new battery...but I will keep your valuable tip back somewhere in this befuddled mind of mine...tnx

Back