free website stats program losing top end power | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

losing top end power

thanks hopple just got home from ride yes it looks like fig 4 i will have to look tomo to see the exact settings.this was happening before mech even touched it. he did advance my timing a little bit to get more HP.this just started out of no where about a month ago i will let you know tomo for sure.thanks for your help.Glider thanks for your advise but my little 80ci engine was built for higher rpm than the big twin.with the little i have done to her she is at 89hp to the tire

With the additional advance the mechanic did and the curve that the HI 4 is set at, you probably are over advancing the timing. This could be your problem.

i will have the exact numbers tomo good thought but the problem was there before the adjustments been talking to a couple shop owners that i know and they said igintion is prob fine but i should check the coil do you have any sugg on the easy way to check it

The ignition coil will need to be unplugged from the wiring harness at the point where the smaller wires connect to the coil. Once those are un-plugged from the coil, use a ohm-meter to test the primary and secondary windings.

To test the primary windings, connect the ohm-meter to the points on the coil where the wiring harness connected to the coil. The primary resistance should be about 2.5 - 3 ohms.

To test the secondary windings in the coil, put one lead from the ohm-meter to each end of the spark plug wire connections. The secondary winding resistance should be about 10,000- 13,000 ohms. You can check your manual for more specific specs on your coil.

Last edited:
http://69.20.53.62/pdf/90004000a.pdf
this is the igintion that i have i tried to look at my settings but as you will see with the pdf you cant read them my ouestion now is (voes) could of gone bad

I don't understand why you say they can't be read. Page 6 has 3 pots and 2 slide switches. So this is the model you have without the "PowerLink" port.?

Do you even know you are using a vacuum advance switch. You may or may not be. That was the reason I asked you that question in an earlier post. If you are, all you would have to do is Disable it by disconnecting the green wire. It is only used to apply extra advance at part throttle during High manifold vacuum to increase fuel mileage. Think it's bad? Disconnect the Green wire.

You are not using a systematic approach to troubleshooting your problem. Trust me, Shot-gunning parts is the Kiss of Death when you are trying to find the ROOT cause of your problem. Just my 2 cents.

thanks hopple i do get a little sparatic i want to get it fixed my switches are set to voe and electric start i cant read the adv.curve or the rear cyl its a phillph screw inside with no point showing where the setting is yes i am using the vacum advance

Last edited:
testing a coil

i tested my coil and i have 3.1 across both primary coil on the secondary i show no resistance at all but the bike still runs just losing top end HP my meter is old or is this possible

Back