free website stats program Lose those spokes! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Lose those spokes!

I was in the same boat this year, so I decided to remove the rear wheel my self and save the labor cost. It was only an hour to remove the wheel and I had never done it before. Most time was spent restling the pipes off. I learned some tricks and got some good help here.

I know on this site, they will never recommend leaving a plug in a tire for an extended ammount of time.

Welcome to the site!

Dr. Evil, one quick question. Do you have a belt tension gauge? If not what did you use. You can save a bunch by taking wheels off youself, but I have been told putting the rear back on can be tricky. Any quick tips? I have read most of the self help posts on tires and wheels.

Dr. Evil, one quick question. Do you have a belt tension gauge? If not what did you use. You can save a bunch by taking wheels off youself, but I have been told putting the rear back on can be tricky. Any quick tips? I have read most of the self help posts on tires and wheels.

I just made sure not to touch the adjusters, I was told that would be OK. I did not do an alignment either. I had to remove the brake pads to get the caliper to move out of the way, that made it much easier to remove the belt and drop the wheel. An extra set of hands would have been nice.

2k miles since and the tire and belt are fine.

Nightowl you can make a chalk mark on the swing and belt tenisoners. and line the marks back up, it might not be perfect but it will be close, I have to say I do carry a little chinese compressor and a plug kit and I have used it on my bike and other that I have stoped and helped out, I dont blame you for wanting to go tubless. To bad someone did not pull over and help you out maybe there should be Like a HD Talking emergency road assistance list that you could put your name and contact info on if your willing to help out another HD talking Member, thats in your area or the area you are traveling through, it would add a little peace of mind when your riding and you have a list of phone contacts in your wallet.Just sayin

LOL did not even know that, just way too much going on here , Thanks Im gonna go look at it :small3d007:

Last edited by a moderator:
The good old way of checking belt tension is to twist it with your fingers. You should get it to 45 degrees, but then you should feel solid resistance.
This is the only way I've used for years - note I am still on my original drivebelt, so it can't be too bad...

The good old way of checking belt tension is to twist it with your fingers. You should get it to 45 degrees, but then you should feel solid resistance.
This is the only way I've used for years - note I am still on my original drivebelt, so it can't be too bad...

Simple, and seams to make sense. IMO

Just upgraded my bike from tubed lace spokes to tubeless chrome wheels last month, and enjoying the peace of mind. :57:

If I am hearing that a pair of 2010 spoke Heritage wheels are coming available, please let me know... Send PM

my 2008 was a beach bike and my rims are in bad shape, would love new ones

Last edited by a moderator:
Back