free website stats program loose wire/tube from under the carb | Harley Davidson Forums

loose wire/tube from under the carb

brutal

I have a 99 fxdx and I found a tube dangling from underneath my aircleaner the other day. It doesnt spill anything but it smells like gasoline. Could someone possibly tell me where to put it. Ive attached pictures.

Attachments

• 0210090051.jpg
    0210090051.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 0210090051a-1.jpg
    0210090051a-1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 0210090052.jpg
    0210090052.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 20
I have a 99 fxdx and I found a tube dangling from underneath my aircleaner the other day. It doesnt spill anything but it smells like gasoline. Could someone possibly tell me where to put it. Ive attached pictures.

That's the carb float bowl drain tube. It should end up with the free end dangling in front of the rear tire. It's used to drain the float bowl which should be done at a service to remove any water or sediment in the bowl.

Poor Performance With Carb Models - Harley Davidson Community

Looking at your photos, I can see the small black tube that goes to the float bowl drain on the bottom of the carb. I am not sure I see the hose you are refering to? But on my EVO ('91) there is also a heavier hose that connect to the crankcase breather valve on the bottom rear of the engine and the back of the breather plate. On mine, there is a section of chromed metal tubing (about 6") between two section of black hose that makes this run. Yours may be hose all the way. This may be what you are looking at. See if there is a nipple on the back of the breather plate that the hose will fit on. If not, take the cover off and make sure it is not lying lose inside.

TQ

I mistakenly thought the drain hose in the third pic was what you are talking about. Looking at the pic again, I see it is not.

The hose you are holding in your hand could be for the VOES switch. Check to see where the other end of the hose is connected to. I don't think you have a vacuum operated fuel valve on that bike but take a look there also. Any running problems with the bike like a rough idle, stalling etc?

ive only had the bike for about a month so i couldnt really notice anything odd but it kind of takes more time now to let the choke back in after i start it before it just dies...other than that it runs fine. As for the tube, it is about a foot long...sorry for the crappy quality. See new picture.

Attachments

• 0210090052.jpg
    0210090052.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 0223092319.jpg
    0223092319.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
From your pic, if it is the drain line from the bottom of the carb, it should end down low in front of the rear tire with the drain from the battery too.

ive only had the bike for about a month so i couldnt really notice anything odd but it kind of takes more time now to let the choke back in after i start it before it just dies...other than that it runs fine. As for the tube, it is about a foot long...sorry for the crappy quality. See new picture.

Much better. I think Glider was right from the beginning. This looks like the float bowl drain line on my bike. On mine, the hose is just lead back and down poking out the bottom of the bike between the engine and tranny. If and when you open the float bowl drain, the gas will head out that line. I suggest just finding a path that exits below the bottom of the bike between the engine and tranny.

TQ

Back