free website stats program Loose spokes in the rear wheel of my softail classic | Harley Davidson Forums

Loose spokes in the rear wheel of my softail classic

Softail steve

I had some engine service done at my local dealer the first week in July. I had noticed kind of a vague handling issue in the bike at the time. The feeling you get when making a turn over tar snakes on a hot summer day. Also a slight shake in the bars while doing sharp slow speed turns, like in a parking lot. My attention was primarily on the engine work at the time. Low mileage bike, about 14,000 miles at the time. Within about 6 weeks nearly all the spokes in the rear wheel have come loose, with three being broken. The hub is shot as a result. I put on about 600 miles from then to now. I was surprised it didn't shake or wobble with the spokes so loose. Any thoughts on a wheel coming loose so quickly? Should an experienced mechanic have identified this problem when the engine service was preformed?

That would depend on what you told the shop to do. If a 10K service was done then probably part of the service. Getting them to do something about it would be difficult.
tourbox

Bought the bike with 8,600 miles last year. The dealer said they would preform the 10k service prior to delivery. It now appears, that service was never compleated. That dealership has since been taken over by new ownership. They refuse responsibility.

To some people that work on bikes, checking spokes, consists of spinning the wheel and letting an end wrench bounce off the spokes. If they don't hear a dull "thunk" instead of a "tink", they call it good. Some don't even do that. A good hard bump can put a strain on a couple of spokes, and quickly get the whole wheel in a mess.

Got the bike back from dealership with new wheel and tire. I would bet that the rear wheel was loose from day one. Feels solid like a new bike.
Always felt kind of vague.
Thanks for your insight.

Spoked wheels do add to the maint. list.
I use to tap a wrench on them at each cleaning while up on the bike jack.
Never had any come loose, but had a few times when the bike felt loose.
An old friend with a Softail had to replace his rear tire on a trip at about 8000 mile and was shown how loose the spokes were and the damage they did to the rim.
His servicing dealer did nothing for him even thou they did all maint from day 1.
Glad your back on and riding and welcome.

Back