free website stats program Loose Handling In Curves | Harley Davidson Forums

Loose Handling In Curves

Fossil

I hope some one can figure this one out for me. I am about to rebuild the front end on my 104K 1988 FLHS including the neck bearings. At 60 mph plus the bike feels like it is on marbles. Not firmly planted on the pavement. In a sharp curve the rear wheel trys to pass the front and I have to really push the bike over to make the turn. The rear swing arm bushings have been in a long time. I need to fix what is causing me problems now. I am a 100% disabled vet and money is scarce but I have been saving up and can afford the parts. I need to get the bike handling better one project at a time. I need the bike to last me through next Oct. 2010 as it seems the Florida state HOG rally will be in nearby Destin, FL. Any one out there got an idea? Fossil

i would start with the rear swingarm bushings ,, jack it up and see if you can wobble the swing arm around might be hard to tell with out taking off tire and shocks but would be a good place to start

You guys seem to think the rear end may need looking at first. So I guess I will start there as I suspect it also but wanted some second opinions. I'll try to let you know what I find. Can I replace the bushings or does it take a special handy dandy Harley tool? Fossil

Start with the simple stuff first
tyre pressure
wheel alignment
wheel bearings - raise wheel off the ground grasp wheel at 180 degrees apart and try and twist it any movement replace the bearings
swing arm bearings - raise rear wheel from ground try to move wheel from side to side movement indicates wear in the bearings
steering head bearings - raise front wheel from ground try to pull and push wheel forward and back wards any movement indicates bearing wear
these procedures will work with any motorcycle but only the correct service manual can tell if the bearings can be adjusted or have to be replaced
Hope this helps

Brian

I have a shop manual and parts book. It has been blazing hot here with humidity just as high. I will start with the easy stuff first and go from there. Thanks every one for your input. Fossil

As Fin676 says, but also apply the front brakes and push/bounce the bike forward compressing the forks...there should be no clicks or pops...! If you hear or feel it, then check for clicks or pops when turning lock to lock. Once you get bike on lift, check fall away and again for smooth turning lock to lock. Continue with the inspection for anything out of the ordinary...inflation pressure, tire tread cupping or wear pattern, wheel bearings, wheel/tire runout, sticking calipers/loose wheel hardware. Then work you way backward, checking out things out as previously stated. You should have a pretty good idea doing the routine stuff.

Back