free website stats program Loose feeling | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Loose feeling

swing arm pivots being a wee bit loose would give a squiffy feeling to the back end

Brian

I have 1700 miles on mine now, at highway speeds 75-80 she feels light in the front. I've gotten into the habit of leaning forward pushing the handlebars down when I get behind a semi. I put on a Klock Werks wind screen and that has helped.
Last week I was riding home with my left hand resting on my leg, decelerating to about 40 and took my right hand off the bar to dry my palm. Immediately the front end starts into a wobble, grabbed the bar and it quit. Just got it back from the dealer...they adjusted the head bearing, balanced my tires, and checked the tires for cupping. I couldn't duplicate the wobble today. I love this bike but that incident has made me skeptical. The fall away check was spot on at 1k miles but was out of tolerance when the dealer checked...had another 1/2 swing.

I think I found the culprit. The left side swing arm nut went a complete round before torque was hit (55 / 66 went with 60) and the right side was 1 1/2 rounds! Haven't ridden it yet but had GOT to be better!

Don I run max recommended sidewall pressure. 36 front I think and 40 rear.

Sounds like you have found the culpret. Nice work Joe!!! Hard to believe it got lose by itself, don't dealerships check anything? Makes you wonder what dealer prep is for.

So much for PDI EH Good luck Joe:s

Rode up to the interstate and fell in behind a 18 wheeler for a few miles. No more squirm. Rock solid. :D

Good deal Joe, Any chance of you making it to Biketoberfest? I hear we will have a guest speaker:D

The fall-away of 1.5 sounds too little to me.

According to my 2011 Touring Service Manual the Swing Count for a FLTRX & the FLTRU is a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 2. So, if you are refering to the "swing count" with "fall-away" then 1.5 is right on. If "fall-away" is something else then....

Back